Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 Cherokee won't turn left

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 98 Cherokee won't turn left

Hi all, I just bought a 98 Cherokee, my fist jeep.
The drive ho,e was fine, but all the sudden I can't turn left. It turns right fine to full lock and it will come back to center fin too, but it seems to get caught up on something as soon as it goes left of center. I got under it and had someone turn the wheel, but I didn't notice anythin catching. Any ideas where I should start looking?
Also, everything is stock on the jeep.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Spirit7
Hi all, I just bought a 98 Cherokee, my fist jeep.
The drive ho,e was fine, but all the sudden I can't turn left. It turns right fine to full lock and it will come back to center fin too, but it seems to get caught up on something as soon as it goes left of center. I got under it and had someone turn the wheel, but I didn't notice anythin catching. Any ideas where I should start looking?
Also, everything is stock on the jeep.

must be something slipped and steering box is not centered. look at book to reset?
it prob will try to go too far right huh?
i replaced a box and ended up with wheel 180 out! on my 98 i use off road on my prop only,no plates so i live with it ,lazee! its the shaft not plugged in right.

Last edited by nujeepguy; 04-06-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

If it turned left on the drive home, probably not the steering gear, unless something slipped after the trip.

Can you post some photos of the steering? From center looking at each wheel then straight into the front.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:44 PM

Interestingly, I jacked the front end up, and it started turning just fine. Lowered it back down and it turned fine, drove it around the block and it started locking up while turning left again.
If you play with it enough, it will eventually turn left, but it's locks up again every time,e you go back.

Also, I'm not sure how to link the photos, but here is the album link.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/7228305
Old 04-06-2017, 09:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Im not great with diagnostics but here is what I would do. I would mess around with the steering in the driveway until it locked up. I'd add a bit of tension to the wheel maybe a ratchet strap? Then disconnect the TRE on the pitman arm. If the wheel turns after that you would know it's somewhere below the pitman arm. If it still won't turn then it's a problem from the steering box up. Take my advice with a grain of salt I've had a few. If all else fails remember 3 rights make a left. Plan accordingly.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:06 PM
Banned

axel u joints??
Old 04-07-2017, 07:42 AM

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/picture/7228310

Should this steering damper have a boot on it?

Also, how do you link pictures directly into a post?
Old 04-07-2017, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by jedijeb
If it turned left on the drive home, probably not the steering gear, unless something slipped after the trip.

Can you post some photos of the steering? From center looking at each wheel then straight into the front.
So after reading and understanding (I think) the jeeps steering components, I don't think it's that the steering gear slipped or is not centered because it will turn after some coaxing. It's just like it's really hard to get past a certain point left of the wheels being center. Could that be a bad gear box?

I'm going to disconnect the pitman arm and see if it's still having trouble turning, but the fact that it turned fine when jacked up makes me think it's farther down the line, or the box is only wonky when there is resistance on it.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:38 AM

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Sounds like a steering box issue.

You probably know this but be really careful when you drive it and don't put your arm thru the steering wheel spokes (when the vehicle is running) until you get it sorted out......remember it has power steering.

A story.. for years ( the age is my profile for some reason is off a few decades) I worked in a vehicle test lab. Often were starting/stopping vehicle many times, usually reached in window through steering wheel to reach key. One time for whatever reason fortunately reached around steering wheel rather than through wheel. The steering box/p.s valve picked that moment to go nuts and the wheel spun to the stop so fast and hard it clanged when it hit the stop. If I had my arm thru the wheel it would have snapped it like a twig.

OK another old guy story, but be careful/
Old 04-07-2017, 05:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

Works when jacked up but not when on the ground, that has me thinking possibly ball joints.

If you raise the wheels and grab them top and bottom and push the top then the bottom, if it wobbles it would be bad ball joints.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:54 PM

Well, it's not the steering stabilizer.
I had it jacked up again, and it's weird that it just turns smoothly both directions when it's off the ground.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:02 PM
Banned

when you are moving and it stops going left do you feel any rotating roughness, clunking? im still thinking axel u joints? to add to the mix...
Old 04-07-2017, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
when you are moving and it stops going left do you feel any rotating roughness, clunking? im still thinking axel u joints? to add to the mix...
it drives smooth other than not wanting to turn left.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:54 AM

Well, I disconnected the pitman arm this morning, and the wheel spins freely, so I don't think it's the steering gearbox.
I'm goongr to try changing the tierod ends and ball joints today.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Still could be the box just that there's on tension on it disconnected . HOPEFULLY not.

Have you disconnected the steering stabilizer?

Quick Reply: 98 Cherokee won't turn left