Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 Cherokee wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6.0
Default 98 Cherokee wont start

I'm new here and don't know alot of technical stuff, but I love having a jeep. This is my second. I was wondering if anyone might be able to help?
I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee Classic. It had a few times where it acted like it wasn't going to start, but after a few moments it did. My fuel gauge also read no fuel when i knew i had half a tank. When i would turn it off and restart it , it read fine.(this was about 4 times in 2 months) Then two days ago it stalled out and wouldn't start back. When i turned the key on to start it; it read no volts on the volt meter. I had a new fuel pump put in and my father in law says he can't hear it turn on. Don't know what it is, but the lights,radio,etc work. It just wont start or read any volts. Aparently he says there's no spark at the plugs either, but they were just replaced, as well as the wires. Been told many things but cant find the problem.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by carolyne1309
I'm new here and don't know alot of technical stuff, but I love having a jeep. This is my second. I was wondering if anyone might be able to help?
I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee Classic. It had a few times where it acted like it wasn't going to start, but after a few moments it did. My fuel gauge also read no fuel when i knew i had half a tank. When i would turn it off and restart it , it read fine.(this was about 4 times in 2 months) Then two days ago it stalled out and wouldn't start back. When i turned the key on to start it; it read no volts on the volt meter. I had a new fuel pump put in and my father in law says he can't hear it turn on. Don't know what it is, but the lights,radio,etc work. It just wont start or read any volts. Aparently he says there's no spark at the plugs either, but they were just replaced, as well as the wires. Been told many things but cant find the problem.
Could be just about anything, but first start with Fuel and Fire. Fuel= Is fuel getting to the engine (press on the shrader valve on the fuel rail to make sure there is fuel pressure...it should spray out). Turn ignition to on while someone listens on the fuel tank fill with cap removed...fuel pump only comes on for a few seconds and shuts off. Fire= Are the spark plugs firing...Pull a spark plug and reattach spark plug wire...hold plug with pliers and hold the plug's outer threaded part against ground...have someone crank the engine and look for spark at end of plug. That will be a good starting point to troubleshoot whatever problem you may have. Once you verify that you have both fuel and fire, then you can go from there...

If the fuel pump is not coming on, swap out the relay with the starter relay to see if that's the culprit.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Liter L6

The fuel pump should prime momentarily when you turn the key on, the problem sounds like the computer is not getting a signal reference from the crank position sensor. That is a fairly common problem when you get a no-start condition. I had experience with one bad on mine and it had no fire to the plugs so it sounds like you are having similar problems. The sensor is located on the drivers side of the tranny bellhousing, not too hard to get to. I changed my own in around 20 minutes with fair experience.