Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 Cherokee Rear Dome Light Wont Work

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 98 Cherokee Rear Dome Light Wont Work

okay so i just bought this 98 Cherokee this past September. I'm 17.

so here's my dilemma:
i Changed all my interior lights over to L.E.D's and everything went perfectly fine. both dome lights worked, so did the map lights, dash, courtesy, and even the hvac lights worked when i changed them over. well one day when i was working on the jeep i got everything i needed done to it and then went to my dads house (this jeep is not my DD I'm fixing it and adding my personal touches to it while i save up to put it on the road, in the mean time I'm borrowing my dads car.) so, my mom got home from work, it was pitch black, and she texts me "are you trying to kill your battery?!?! all your interior lights are on." naturally i panicked, thinking i was going to have to buy a new battery on such a tight budget. i call my mom and tell her to go through and shut all the doors, and guess what, she goes through and absolutely slams them shut. well the lights turned off. i went home the next day to find that she knocked both the festoon dome lights out. i thought that was okay and went and put them back in place. the front dome light went on perfectly fine. the rear one didn't. i thought maybe the bulb blew. so i went to go get one of the 40 spares i have (accidentally ordered too many) and put one of the spares in- no dice. light didn't work at all. but here's the kicker, if one door is open all the lights stay on when i press the rear dome light to turn it on (with the exception of the rear dome) but if all the doors are shut and the rear hatch is open and i press the rear dome light to turn it on, all the interior lights turn off when they should be on. i press the rear dome light again to try and turn it on again and the interior lights come back on(with the exception of the rear dome light).

so whats my problem? please help!

P.S. sorry for the length of my description, I'm naturally bad at telling jokes, stories, or anything that needs to get to a point but my English teachers love me for that!

Last edited by Sequoyah; 11-28-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:06 PM

Old 12-01-2013, 06:07 PM

Old 12-01-2013, 07:13 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.hoe

Check grounds (negative wire) on all the lights. Sometimes these strange things can be caused by a faulty ground.