Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 cherokee with rats..my first jeep need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Post 98 cherokee with rats..my first jeep need help

So I've been building my first ever Cherokee since about Feb while I get my license back and if noticed today I went to go put abunch of my new parts on and I've got a rat prob all of a sudden they have ate my engine harness and got I to my dash harness too I can't seem to get rid of the ****ers either so my question is I. Gonna have to replace my harnesses obviously uts a 98 Cherokee Xj with 4.0 IDK if it's the ho or renix but is there a difference in the harness and is there a difference in any of the 98-01 Cherokee dash harnesses too? If so how can I tell which is which and how can I figure out which 4.0 I have I do pretty much all of my work myself and yes I do pay for my jeep myself well my wife does cause we all know who is the boss lol thanks guys I appreciate any and all help in advance!
Old 11-26-2016, 03:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Cure the rat problem first or they will keep giving you problems.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:02 AM

I know that lol I'm just trying to figure out what harness to get if there's a difference and how to tell which is which
Old 11-26-2016, 07:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I believe the harness 97-99 should work but wait for someone else to say for sure on the years.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

well for starters, renix is only 87 to 90.
i think you would need a harness from 97 to 99, since 00 they went to coil packs. you may still use a harness from 00 to 01, but to keep it simple, stick with what year you have.

i know they really only stamped the H.O. from 91 to 96, but 97 to 01 were essentially the the same.

rodents suck, i have to deal with them up here in the woods also. they can be a real pita. i've had to resplice harnesses before.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:34 PM

Thanks man that's alot if help considering I had no clue lol I was under the impression they was in different trim models I guess because if heard ppl putting remix motors in 97-01 before lol thanks alot Tho
Old 11-26-2016, 06:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Stay away from the '97 harness. It was somewhat of a transition year so it may have a few trick bags hidden in it. 98 is your best bet.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:58 PM

Alrighty that's a plus! So do any of you guys know how to tell what trim my Cherokee is like sport limited etc
Old 11-26-2016, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 Liter High Output

BettyWhite98,

Oh my stars.... don't tell me... you must live on the OTHER side of my neighbors?!?

Jeez... all the filth and junk they leave laying around the yard gives me the creeps AND mice like you have!!! I've started setting traps in my rides to dispose of them.

Good luck with yours!!!! Nothing like seeing one skitter across the floor mat while your trucking down the road... like I have...

Good Luck,
Mark
Old 11-26-2016, 11:51 PM

First thing, buy and put out some "just one bite" in bar form. If you buy the pellets, they'll just carry them off and stash them. They have to eat the bar right there, so they will consume it and die(yay!). I put the bars inside short pieces of capped PVC pipe, with a small hole in one end, to prevent anything else from eating the bars.

Second thing is to buy some "essentria IC3". It's a liquid concentrate marketed as an insecticide. The ingredients are mostly essential oils from various plants(rosemary and peppermint are two of them). Very pleasant smell. I can't tell that it works well as an insecticide, but rats and mice hate it. Mix some up and spray it all over the engine compartment/interior/etc.. IIRC, there is also a similar product named "Rat a way", but I think it's more expensive and it stinks.

Solve the problem and then replace the wiring, otherwise you'll be replacing it again.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

There's a brand called Protecta that makes bait boxes where the bait fits over spindles so they can't be carried away. Then the lid locks and only rats and small rodents can get at it. Also look for some rat traps at your local hardware store. Ones that work best are plastic that look like big jaws with sharp teeth. They need to be set by pushing down with your foot. Bait them with dog food. I've taken care of about a dozen rats that way. And the bait boxes assure if they return they won't last long. Use the traps to guaranty you get them.

As far as the harness I would also say stick with 98.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:24 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by BettyWhite98
So do any of you guys know how to tell what trim my Cherokee is like sport limited etc
Go to this website:

http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.html

On the left side of the page, there's a box that says "YOUR VEHICLE" at the top. In that box, click the "Equipment Listing" link. On the next page, enter your VIN in the box indicated and click the search button.

The page will return the build sheet for your specific Jeep in PDF format. This build sheet tells you what equipment, trim and packages your Jeep had when it left the factory. It's helpful not only in knowing what you have, but also what prior owners may have changed. Save that sheet so you have it in the future.

For anyone else finding this who might have an earlier Jeep, don't be put off by the note that says, "Vehicles built before 1998 are not eligible for this functionality." That's wrong. Most (if not all) XJs prior to 1998 are also in the database. That web tool is used by all Chrysler brands, just with a different interface on top (you can actually put Ram truck VINs in that Jeep tool and get the build sheets for them also). Some other vehicles prior to 1998 are not in there, but the XJs are.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:25 PM

Oh I've put several different t rat poisons and rat traps like the ones described they have literally ate blocks of rat poison and some too notch **** I li e in the straight country a small as town "the backwoods" lol but I build my jeep and other vehicles at my best friends papaws but this is the only vehicle these pack rats have ever been interested in for some odd reason
Old 11-28-2016, 10:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: Toyota 2.4l diesel non-turbo

Cats. A couple of big, hungry cats from the animal shelter.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by BettyWhite98
Oh I've put several different t rat poisons and rat traps like the ones described they have literally ate blocks of rat poison and some too notch **** I li e in the straight country a small as town "the backwoods" lol but I build my jeep and other vehicles at my best friends papaws but this is the only vehicle these pack rats have ever been interested in for some odd reason
"Just One Bite" is the only one that seems to work around here. You could bait and set some small conibear traps.......

Mice/rats chewed up a few wires in my cherokee before I sprayed it with the stuff in my last post. They've left it alone since I sprayed.