Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 Cherokee Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 98 Cherokee Engine

Yet ANOTHER engine post...
So I really like this vehicle. Not as much as my Ghia, but a lot.
I have the engine I yanked out of it. The engine lost ALL power and just died, and it smelled funny (sweet) during a 2 year long divorce. Could be anything, right?
How hard is it to rebuild a Cherokee 4.0 liter? A local machinist (th eonly machinist) wants 2200. I have access to machine working tools on base at the hobby shop. Is it easy enough to do it myself? I already asked the hobby shop; they wont give me help because they dont want to be liable if its messed up.
Also, wheres a reasonable place to get good parts, like gaskets, bearings, pistons if necessary, etc?
Thanks all!
C
Old 07-13-2011, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997 & 1998
Engine: 4.0

The 4.0 is a relatively straightforward and uncomplicated engine to rebuild. $2200 isn't too far out of line, though if you are going to spend that kind of money on a rebuild, I'd look into a Jasper engine. For the same price range, you'll get a professionally rebuilt motor with a warranty and a good reputation. I'd get a few other estimates if you are intent on a local rebuild. Last time I got a price on a rebuild was a couple years ago and it was for a Ford 250, not a too much different motor. I was looking at around $1800 complete out of the car, closer to $2000 if it was still in it.

I needed to replace the engine in my '97 over the winter. I went with an 80,000 mile used motor and have had no major issues with it. I saved major $$ and just freshened it up on the engine stand prior to the install with a new water pump, gaskets, fuel injectors, tune up parts. I'd seriously consider going this route. Go to www.car-part.com and do a local or regional search for a motor depending on how far you are willing to drive for it. I used this to find mine, drove an hour or so, spent $450. No regrets.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:43 AM

Default re: engine stuff

Thanks! I'll look up those engines in the AM.
Part of my issue is that there's only 1 company that does machine work on engines in town. Its ridiculous. When I lived in North Carolina, there were probably 20.
Any idea what the best place is to get "stuff", like seals, bearings, etc?
Thanks again,
C
Old 07-14-2011, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by CHastings68
Thanks! I'll look up those engines in the AM.
Part of my issue is that there's only 1 company that does machine work on engines in town. Its ridiculous. When I lived in North Carolina, there were probably 20.
Any idea what the best place is to get "stuff", like seals, bearings, etc?
Thanks again,
C
i usually go to advanced
Old 07-14-2011, 05:10 AM
xj4

Year: 1993

I have the engine I yanked out of it. The engine lost ALL power and just died, and it smelled funny (sweet) during a 2 year long divorce. Could be anything, right?
How hard is it to rebuild a Cherokee 4.0 liter? A local machinist (th eonly machinist) wants 2200. I have access to machine working tools on base at the hobby shop. Is it easy enough to do it myself? I already asked the hobby shop; they wont give me help because they dont want to be liable if its messed up.
Also, wheres a reasonable place to get good parts, like gaskets, bearings, pistons if necessary, etc?
Thanks all!
C
Some one could have put sugar in your gas or in your motor somewhere. But if in your gas you might just need new fuel injectors.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997 & 1998

If you still intend to rebuild the one you have or to buy parts for another motor, I'd look to Rock Auto (www.rockauto.com). Even with shipping, their parts are cheaper than most everybody else. I've bought from them without issue. You'll likely see multiple listings from different companies for the same part with different prices. There isn't usually a whole lot of difference between them when it comes down to it so more expensive isn't always better.

If you need a place to get stuff immediately, I've had no real issues ever with Auto Zone. They don't have listings for everything especially if the parts are limited demand, but they always seem to have the most common stuff for the XJs. Then use NAPA. They always seem to have more listings for parts than most everyone else using brick & mortar stores. Their prices aren't always as good, but they often have what others do not, aside from Rock.

Last edited by wjnfirearms; 07-14-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: ERH 4.0L 16 Power Tech

Originally Posted by xj4
Some one could have put sugar in your gas or in your motor somewhere. But if in your gas you might just need new fuel injectors.
What leads you to make the sugar in the gas statement?
Old 07-15-2011, 02:20 AM
xj4

Year: 1993

You said a sweet smell and sugar smells sweet and it's a prank that some kids pull.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:42 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Machining an engine.as.far as.... you need to have the head milled and I would run a glaze breaker through cylinders at least.... if you're not comtortable wither the.machining process you can sle.it apart and.take the parts.to be machined... not sure I understood what you said abot having access to machine tools.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: ERH 4.0L 16 Power Tech

Originally Posted by xj4
You said a sweet smell and sugar smells sweet and it's a prank that some kids pull.
Good point.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:11 AM

Year: 1998 Classic

Thanks all!
C
Hobby Shop won't help because they are either too lazy or do not know. But the shop will have specialized tools available that you need. Get a service manual. Either buy or check out at the library. Tear the engine down, mic the crank to see if you need it reground. On the block, can you catch your fingernail on the top 1/8" of any of the bores? If yes, do not go on. If no, mic the cylinders to see if they are oversized/out of round. Check the block face with a straight edge to see if it is straight. If at this point the crank needs to be reground and the block needs machining, it is a good chance the head also requires work. You might be better off buying a remanufactured long block and dropping it in. Otherwise take the block to a machine shop have it hot tanked and honed. Buy a rebuild kit from places such as rockauto.com and get to work.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:15 PM

Yep - I dont know for sure, but NEVER get divorced from an angry woman.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:37 PM

I walked out of my workplace and saw my ex by the car. She ran away... I drove the car about 5 miles, when I lost power. The car slowed down, then died. Wouldnt restart. When the tow driver came, he said the car smelled like caramel. I lost my sense of smell (I blew a sinus in the Gulf) so I couldnt tell. When I told him I was getting divorced, he laughed and asked if she had access. YEP!
No way to prove it tho.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:39 PM

The Hobhy Shop here is less than helpful. The one In NC was great.
Thanks for the advice about machining. I've got the book, so now its just a question of time!
C
Old 07-19-2011, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 High Output

I walked out of my workplace and saw my ex by the car. She ran away... I drove the car about 5 miles, when I lost power. The car slowed down, then died. Wouldnt restart. When the tow driver came, he said the car smelled like caramel. I lost my sense of smell (I blew a sinus in the Gulf) so I couldnt tell. When I told him I was getting divorced, he laughed and asked if she had access. YEP!
No way to prove it tho.
Sounds like she dumped sugar in you're gas tank and it got through the crappy sock filter in the tank and into the engine. If you take the gas tank out and find sugar in it strike up a lawsuit and make her pay for it. Just my opinion though...

Quick Reply: 98 Cherokee Engine