Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 Cherokee 4.0

Old 02-13-2019, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 98 Cherokee 4.0

I recently purchased a 98 Cherokee. Didn’t get to drive before purchasing it. A few known issues that were worked on.

#1 issue leading me to where I am now was the fuel injectors leaking. Jeep started up perfect first attempt every day. Shutting down and starting up she would crank over and over and it would start up if you gave a shot to the gas pedal. That crank and squeal / wheezing noise was very notiable on those following attempts. Failed the fuel pressure test.

Fuel injectors have been replaced as well the spark plugs. Now, it’s very intermittent. You’ll sometime get a perfect start up.
Other times it cranks but won’t turn over. (Similar to the flooded starts I was experiencing at the beginning of it all)

Other times it will return to the “crank and wheeze”. A god awful noise. - The cranking starts normal but then becomes constant. Like Chaulk on a chaulkboard.

Anyone else have similar experiences?
Old 02-13-2019, 11:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

A crank-no-start condition that changes when you press the accelerator is a hallmark symptom for an IAC (Idle Air Control) that is not opening properly during startup. It is responsible for ensuring that air gets through the throttle body when your foot is off the pedal. If it is stuck or failed, the motor may not get any air during startup. It is also responsible for controlling idle RPMs by responding to control from the computer (PCM).
Old 02-14-2019, 12:20 PM

Year: 1999 Classic
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

After you replaced the injectors, did you check fuel pressure at the rail? If it continues to leak down, it is likely for fuel pump. You can also try the poor man's prime. Turn your key on / off 6-7 time only energizing the fuel pump. If your Jeep starts easy, you will now no what the problem is. Does not cost anything to try it.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:51 PM

Fuel pressure at 46 when turned on. Drops to 43 when. You take turn it off and holds well. Slow drop down to 40 over ten minutes. Running good at 46 psi. Just a rough start every now and then going to let it re learn.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:09 PM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

Clean the throttle body with carburetor/throttle body cleaner. I believe that the fuel pressure for your year is 47-51 p.s.i. That would indicate that your pump needs to be replaced. Verify that your year and submodel is an all-in-one assembly and that you are indeed or if tolerance for the pressure on the fuel rail. You can use a Factory Service Manual, Chilton's Manual, Haynes Manual, it your local library to discover that.