Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97 xj starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6
Default 97 xj starting problems

ok...heres the issue. last sunday morning went to start my cherokee. all i got when i turned the key was a single click coming from the passenger side. drove it on saturday no issue. i figured starter....battery is new. tuesday i pulled the starter and went to an auto parts store to test it....starter passed. i put the starter back on....and inspected the relays. after removing the starter relay, inspecting it, and putting it back in. my jeep started....i started it several times over the span of 30 minutes. drove to the gas station about a mile away....wouldnt start...just the same single click from the passenger side. after begging it to start...i tried one more time and it fired. i drove home and shut it off and it hasent started since. just the same single click. all i can think of left in the ignition system is the ignition switch or the neutral saftey switch. anyone have ideas....im terrified its the nss.... im on a tight budget and a new one is $277.....good bye lift kit
Old 06-20-2013, 11:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

We'll assume you've checked the battery cables and connectors (if not, do so) and move on..
Parts store test often misses intermittent solenoids. Check the small third wire on your starter solenoid. There should be +12V there when the key is turned to start. Long wire with alligator clips makes it easier.
If there is power there but the starter isn't energizing, rebuild or replace the solenoid. (or change the whole starter), again assuming the battery, cables and connectors are good.
If there is NOT power there, temporarily bypass the nss with a jumper at the plug near the trans dipstick and try again.
Nothing? Swap the start relay in the PDC with the AC relay or another and try again.
If that doesn't do it, pull the plug off of the ignition switch up top of the steering column, look for melted plastic or overheated pins.

More often than not you can remove and clean the NSS and you're good to go if it has issues. Not always necessary to replace it. Take your time removing it, they stick. (hello lift kit)

Last edited by Radi; 06-20-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:55 PM

sorry to be a noob but how exactly do you bypass the nss
Old 06-21-2013, 12:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Nss Bypass pic:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/bypass-nss-32334/
Two black wires are the NSS. Put jumper on the connector on the engine side, not the one that goes down to the transmission. This is the style my '96 has. Not sure if 97 is still that style or->
Newer style plug:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/n...bypass-958742/

NSS Cleaning:
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm
Old 06-21-2013, 12:29 AM

ok!!! thank you so much. that was really helpful. ill try to bypass it tomarrow. and if its bad ill try cleaning and rebuilding it first.