Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'97 XJ Crankshaft Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 01:58 PM
wim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 HO
Question '97 XJ Crankshaft Sensor

I am trying to sort out my 97 XJ ,s last problem . The vehicle is in an overall excellent condition , but driving under hot conditions and making it work , it suddenly cuts out . The engine cranks but fails to start. Temp gauge shows normal and sitting around for anything between 10 and 30 minutes it will start and go untill the next labouring session. It happened once while at my local Jeep expert and subjecting it to a diagnostic test showed up the Crankshaft Sensor. After a few minutes it started and the diagnostic test was clear.
Question : from my driving experience with this condition it appeared to me clearly as a temperature related problem . I have read up the working and function of the Crankshaft Sensor and fail to see the relation of this part to be malfunctioning due to over-temperature , in fact I do not understand a possible relation. IS THERE ANY ?
The reason I ask , is here in South Africa they charge ± USD 400.00 for a replacement part and the the labour comes on top. For a pensioner since '98 that is load of money and I want to be sure . Love my XJ.
Can anybody advise TKs