Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'97 Jeep XJ, 4.0L SIX, 4DR, 2WD.. Base Model, Tranny not equipped with 1-2 low range

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straight Six
Default '97 Jeep XJ, 4.0L SIX, 4DR, 2WD.. Base Model, Tranny not equipped with 1-2 low range

Alright I'm confused...

The trans shifter shaft will not drop down in '1-2' gears on the shift gate.. I removed the cover to look at the linkage under the console, when the shift lever is pulled back into '3' that is as far back as it can possibly go.. You absolutly cannot pull back far enough to get into '1-2'...? The factory bracket that the shifter rides in ends @ '3'..??

I'm reading in the owners manual that the '1-2' gear is used for heavy hauling/towing... Is it possible that being a base model, no factory tow package, that even with a 3spd auto trans I do not have the option of selecting low range gears manually....??

HELP..!!!

Old 07-09-2012, 11:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: i-6 4.0

Originally Posted by fishnchipz
Alright I'm confused...

The trans shifter shaft will not drop down in '1-2' gears on the shift gate.. I removed the cover to look at the linkage under the console, when the shift lever is pulled back into '3' that is as far back as it can possibly go.. You absolutly cannot pull back far enough to get into '1-2'...? The factory bracket that the shifter rides in ends @ '3'..??

I'm reading in the owners manual that the '1-2' gear is used for heavy hauling/towing... Is it possible that being a base model, no factory tow package, that even with a 3spd auto trans I do not have the option of selecting low range gears manually....??

HELP..!!!

Question, safely put in n and see if its in gear, if yes shift linkage needs adjusting, if no, me a owner of jeeps for years, driver of tons of xjs will have seen something new lol
Old 07-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: big 6

mine wouldnt hold in 4 low cause i had a stick wedged in in my t case linkage. took it out and smooth as glass now
Old 07-10-2012, 01:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Only 2.5L 4 cyl XJ's and some pre-renix V6 came with 3spd auto. If you have a 97/4.0L then you have an AW4. I would definitely check linkage/cables etc. I have a base model renix XJ with an AW4 and I have the 1-2.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

There was another member with the 1-2 position missing:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/wro...tomatic-86825/

I've never seen or heard of one built that way, but is certainly isn't impossible. More likely is someone broke it and swapped in an incorrect part.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:50 AM

Default What in the hell....??

Hey guys...

Yeah, so I have been searching all over for more intel on this, but I'm not finding much.....

I am no Jeep expert, this is my first so thanks for pointing out my error with the trans, AW4 if you say so..!

This Jeep is a bone stock base model, tagged as a 'Hendrick Edition', refering to I'm sure Rick Hendrick the huge car dealer...? It has no gauges except a fuel gauge & an ODO, the rest of the instrumentation is purely warning lights.. No rear windshield wiper, no rear defroster.. All mechanical windows/doors & the rear doors can only be locked/unlocked from the inside (no exterior key hole).. I can see the dash is 'universal factory' as I have can see other warning lights, not equipped to my vehicle, but this dash has the ability to have them..

It is a '97 4.0L, engine runs excellent, trans runs excellent, shifts smooth, pulls nice.. Nothing in my opinion wrong mechanically.. She goes into all the gears on the gate easily & smooth P-R-N-D-3, but like I said at '3' there is no more pull back, factory stop..

Jeep is in good original shape, I believe it has the original motor/tranny combo, never been smashed up, no huge mechanical work, all original & again, drive excellent mechanically...

1. If the cable was so far out of adjustment that I couldn't access '1-2', then surely I would have problems throughout the range.. It really does drive/shift/operate like a dream..???

Anybody know of an existing thread to 'Adjust Trans Cable..?'

Thanks guys...!!

Last edited by fishnchipz; 07-10-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L 6Cyl, K&N, 62mm TB, Electric Fans, D Neon Injectors, Head gasket needing replaced.

[QUOTE=fishnchipz;1884182]Alright I'm confused...

HELP..!!!

I have a '97 also and had the same problem. The front half of the t-case was bad, misaligned gears (shift fork was hanging up) after SYE was installed. Had a guy replace the front half and reset everything for a $150, but I had to get a JY NP231 to get a front half.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Could your shifter trim be misaligned? i know these consoles can be adjusted forward and back about an inch or so.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Wheel, break, fix, repeat

Year: 1987
Engine: AMC I6 4.0

Originally Posted by Driftunit
mine wouldnt hold in 4 low cause i had a stick wedged in in my t case linkage. took it out and smooth as glass now
[quote=wmmccall;1885144]
Alright I'm confused...

HELP..!!!

I have a '97 also and had the same problem. The front half of the t-case was bad, misaligned gears (shift fork was hanging up) after SYE was installed. Had a guy replace the front half and reset everything for a $150, but I had to get a JY NP231 to get a front half.
OP said his is 2wd.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Seasoned Member

... yes i know that.. does a 2wd not have any linkage? or and area something could be stuck, blocking the shifter? that was what i was implying bub
Old 07-11-2012, 12:18 PM

Default Success...!!! Thanks to all for the input..!

Hey guys...

Thanks for all you input & help.. Kudos to whomever suggested the cable being 'bound up'/too much slack..

Here is how my morning went......

Check engine light came on again, so I coded it out.. Got the code P0700 - Trans Shifter ECU or something similar relating to an electronic component that tells the tranny to shift..

Went to my local tranny shop, locally owned & operated, East Coast Transmission's in Goose Creek, S.C.. Spoke with Gary the owner who took me out in my Jeep & seriously schooled me on this tranny which was invaluable.. He basically said that it was out of adjustment by about 3/4".. I was not able to drop into 1-2 & also would not shift into O/D.. Kick Down cable was fine & well in his words 'spot on'.. We lifted her, he did his thing & boom, tranny works perfect..

Paid the man $20 for his time & tipped him with a 20 deck of Camel Lights.. (All he wanted for payment) & the promise I made him of returning on Tues for a Trans Service @ $125.00...

Thank you again, my trans is now shifting beautifully & I am a happy camper..

Old 07-11-2012, 12:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

NICE! Glad it worked out for ya and it was nothing serious.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:59 PM

Default On another note.... [?]

Hey on a slightly different but related subject how does $125.00 work for a trans service.. New fluid/gasket/filter + labor..?

Is it something easily accomplished @ home..? It's gonna cost me the best part of $80 for the materials + 5qts anyways...

Old 07-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Seasoned Member

congrats dude! nothing like the feeling of a big fix that turned out easy! almost better than sex.. almost
Old 07-11-2012, 02:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Hey on a slightly different but related subject how does $125.00 work for a trans service.. New fluid/gasket/filter + labor..?

Is it something easily accomplished @ home..? It's gonna cost me the best part of $80 for the materials + 5qts anyways...

ummm well from what i hear the trans dipstick can be a real PITA in regards to dropping/reattaching the pan. other than that its really straightforward. basically 45 for labor...not bad for the dude who took care of ya with your shifter issue.

Quick Reply: '97 Jeep XJ, 4.0L SIX, 4DR, 2WD.. Base Model, Tranny not equipped with 1-2 low range