Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'97 Jeep Cherokee - Master Switch, Blinkers, Radio & A/C not working properly!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Default '97 Jeep Cherokee - Master Switch, Blinkers, Radio & A/C not working properly!?

So I have 97' Jeep Cherokee and I'm trying to figure out several things relating to my Master Switch, Blinkers, Radio & A/C. So based on what I've read on here so far, some of it is relatable, so it' s why I'm making my own thread on it.

Master Switch: Sometimes the Windows & Locks will work, sometimes they won't. Both the Windows & Locks work in the back by their own controls, but the Master, like I said, doesn't always work as it should. So when it works, the Passenger Lock doesn't even flip at all when it does work, the others flip like the should. Sometimes when I close the Front Passenger door it will lock all the doors as if it's all of a sudden a Master Switch, sometimes it won't. Maybe something is loose somewhere and the door slam is triggering some wiring somewhere.

Blinkers, Radio & A/C: They all seem to stop work randomly on and off together. Not sure if this has something to do with the Ignition Switch or the wiring behind the Radio (Stereo) or somewhere else or fuses. Actually, the Radio doesn't work at all, but it's on otherwise giving me the time. Also, when it doesn't work some light's on the dash come on like "Brakes" or "Airbag" only sometimes.

So with all that being said, it could be fuses, wiring under the driving wheel, ignition switch or behind the stereo or elsewhere. Just not sure.

Where should I start?
Old 07-14-2017, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee

Alright, so I noticed whenever I have the Ignition Switch (when the Jeep is on), when the Key is on Start, I'll slightly notch is back to ACC On (I believe) everything comes back (Blinkers, A/C & Radio). What is going on with that?

However, I think the Stereo has an issue in of itself because it will just turn off randomly too, but the Blinkers & A/C will work and sometimes I'll tap it and it comes back on, not always.

Still unsure about the Windows/Locks...