Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97+ front clip conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation 97+ front clip conversion questions

So I have picked up the front end off a 86 Jeep wagoneer XJ (the one with 4 headlights) I have the whole front end minus the fenders/hood/ bumpers.. I want to swap it onto my 98. I know everything is complete bolt on since the 97 to older is a direct swap. now I know most people use the newer fenders with their swap to "clean up" the body lines. but do you really need the fenders? I have seen this swap done on a 95 and you dont need to change the fenders seeing how they are the same as the wagoneers. So basically to put it simple I want to swap a older front clip onto a newer xj, and can it be done without swapping the fenders?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

yes, you can do it without swapping the fenders, but, the newer fender has a more rounded top to it and won't match up flush with the older more squared off header panel.

you will also have two front marker lights under the headlights, where as the older panel only has one. no big deal there tho, but the corner signal/marker uses a different bulb socket, so you will have to cut and splice in an older marker bulb socket that will snug into the housing. again, no big deal.

i would swap out the fenders just so it looks clean.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caged
yes, you can do it without swapping the fenders, but, the newer fender has a more rounded top to it and won't match up flush with the older more squared off header panel.

you will also have two front marker lights under the headlights, where as the older panel only has one. no big deal there tho, but the corner signal/marker uses a different bulb socket, so you will have to cut and splice in an older marker bulb socket that will snug into the housing. again, no big deal.

i would swap out the fenders just so it looks clean.
yea I cut the bulb sockets and i am just going do splice everything with the existing wires. So everything will swap directly with out changing the fenders right away? will the older fender match the body lines on my newer xj?