Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97 cherokee wipers turn on with ignition

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 97 cherokee wipers turn on with ignition

I recently bought a 97 jeep cherokee and the previous owner mentioned the wipers didn’t work. The motor was disconnected so I plugged it back in and the motor works. However, they won’t turn off unless the ignition is off. Somehow it’s getting power from ignition. I removed steering column and removed the wiper control switch as well as the multi function switch and that didn’t change anything. I tested the wires at motor and all three (high, low, and intermediate I think) are getting power. I read through some other threads and they mentioned it could be a short or possibly the ignition switch. I checked wires by steering column to see if anything was pinched but they looked fine. Also, if you remove fuse, the motor no longer gets power. Couldn’t really find another thread with my exact problem.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

The only thing I can think of is that you have a exposed wires crossing somewhere in the jumble coming from the switch for the wipers and a wire that is hot when the ignition is on.. not necessarily from the ignition switch though it's in the same general area
-OR-
The more likely thing - a PO did a hachet job on the wiring and misconnected something.

You may be in for a fair amount of looking at wiring diagrams and testing wires.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:30 PM

Im going to take apart the radio (aftermarket) and see how the wiring in there looks as I know the PO wired that up
Old 01-22-2018, 05:23 PM

Small update, took apart radio and rewired that. PO tapes it all together but didn’t solve the issue. I tried changing the fuse and no difference as well. Any chance this could be the wiper motor or maybe the wiper switch.PO installed aftermarket wiper switch however problem persists after removing the wiper switch.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Last edited by freegdr; 01-22-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by RazzXJ
I recently bought a 97 jeep cherokee and the previous owner mentioned the wipers didn’t work. The motor was disconnected so I plugged it back in and the motor works. However, they won’t turn off unless the ignition is off. Somehow it’s getting power from ignition. I removed steering column and removed the wiper control switch as well as the multi function switch and that didn’t change anything. I tested the wires at motor and all three (high, low, and intermediate I think) are getting power. I read through some other threads and they mentioned it could be a short or possibly the ignition switch. I checked wires by steering column to see if anything was pinched but they looked fine. Also, if you remove fuse, the motor no longer gets power. Couldn’t really find another thread with my exact problem.
With switchs removed they still come on ?
Old 01-22-2018, 07:08 PM

Yes, removed both the wiper switch and turn signal switch and wipers still on. However, if you plug wiper switch in, the wipers change speed according (low, high, and the third one)
Old 11-29-2021, 02:13 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Did you ever solve this issue? I got the same thing going on 93 Cherokee