Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

97 Cherokee Sport Rear Springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 97 Cherokee Sport Rear Springs

Hey guys, I just joined this group and am hoping someone here can tell me how big of a job I'm about to tackle. I just purchased a 1997 Cherokee Sport, when I got it it was in bad need of shocks. Both rear shocks were busted, and appearently had been for a while. So now it is needing new rear springs. Where can I find these that won't break the bank, and how hard are they to change? I use this Jeep everyday for work and drive it about 400 miles a day with no other serious issues, but this is causing a bad body wobble side to side in a cross wind, or when you hit a bump at interstate speeds. It's almost like you were sittin still and throwin your weight from side to side, but at 70 to 80 mph. Also is causing tire scrub with factory sized tires as rear of the jeep is sitting about 3 inches lower than the front. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

this should help whether or not you use new springs or do a "bastard pack" you can search bastard pack and find lots more info. http://fitchva.com/jeep/?p=37
new springs options:
http://www.quadratec.com/category/Je.../122/index.htm
more info here:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/best-suspension-46502/
and when your top shock bolts break (almost always do) you can knock out the remains of the bolt and welded in place nut with a hammer and punch or better an air hammer then fish bolts into the holes from above. Like this:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=934954
Old 03-04-2011, 10:55 AM

Year: 1997

Thank you, and I have gone back and put what information I know about my cherokee in my profile. Sorry I hadn't already done that, I joined late last night and just asked the question right away. Thank you for the info tho, I really appreciate it. I have already replaced the rear shocks, actually broke three of the four upper bolts off and ended up taking it to a shop to have them removed. Wish I had checked here before that. How long do you think it would take with all new hardware to replace the springs? I priced everything off of your website and think I can come up with the parts from there, just wondering if this is something I can do in the drive way with basic hand tools in an afternoon? Or is this something I am gonna need a concrete floor and a whole weekend for?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:30 AM

you're welcome and welcome to CF. You already did your shocks so rear springs will be alittle easier as the rear lower shock bolts will not be rusted. Spray all nuts and bolts with PB Blaster for days before and be ready for a long day or weekend depending on your skills and tools. Before you order your springs call quadratec and ask what springs and hardware you will want/need, i.e. u-bolts, spring eye bushings, nuts, bolts, lock washers.

You will need jack stands under the "frame" in front of the rear wheel wells to get the back of the jeep high enough to allow you to remove and replace the springs. This can be done in the driveway if your weather is ok and the driveway is not soft.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:48 PM

Engine: 4.0 L
Default Rear leaf springs

Do yourself a big favor. Lots of really great advice on CF to do this job, read everything you can find.
As DaddyCat advises, PB Blaster is your friend. You may have to gain access to the welded-in-place nut inside the front frame box that the front bolt mounts to. ( I drilled a hole from the floor above) Spray 'em everyday for at least a week.
Use the right size 6 point socket!!!!!. 12 point will be mistake. 21MM if I remember correctly.
You may have to cut em out anyway. After 14 years, the bolts will probably be frozen in the steel bushing sleeves. Be prepared, with a cut off tool, and several cutting disks just in case.
You can do it in the driveway. I did mine. Hand tools, no air. (The Baby was sleeping you know! Moved the compressor to the other side of the garage after that "discussion" with the Queen!))
Get new bolts for the front, rear nut and shackle bolts might be good, new bushings, and some anti seize. (Great piece on-line re: pressing those bushings in with two pipe mounts, a 12 threaded rod and some nuts!)

my 2 cents: You can use a large Vice grip clamped onto the rear shackle to pivot it forward, up and into place, to line up the holes so the bolt can pass through from the inside to the outside. If its stuck in the future, you can drive it out.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:04 PM

Year: 1998

fatbobsgarage.com has a lot of deals. i bought my leafs from there for pretty cheap. they were 3 inch lift rough country. installing them was a huge pain in the *** though. PB blaster. cans and cans of it, weeks before you install, depending on your rust.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:55 PM

Year: 01

This brings back memories,When my 95 was 3 years old I changed shocks and promptly broke off 3 of the bolts.I think I just drilled and tapped them to 3/8 inch bolts. I then bought a used 95 when it was 10 years old,it came from Florida, the bolts came right out with no trouble.The roof tho had 2 holes by roof rack bolts from salt,no rust anywhere else but the roof. When I bought my new 01 I took off every bolt I could and put anti seeze on them,bumpers,shocks,skid plates,tow hooks and it has paid off.