Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A '96's Slow Death...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 07:25 PM
ace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default A '96's Slow Death...

Hey all. I've read as many threads as I could find related to this issue, but haven't found anyone with the exact situation I'm in, so here it goes...

Jeep: 1996, 4.0 I6, 155K miles. Manual. Starter is a year old. Distributor is 2 years old. Fuel pump, fuel filter, and computer are 4 years old. Most other electrical parts in good shape.

Monday last week: I was running around town making multiple stops, and it began to get sluggish when starting up. Got it home fine.

Tuesday morning: Starts with difficulty, and only after I crushed the gas. Would not idle unless my foot was on the gas. Died when I took it off. Couldn't get to a parts store last week at all, so I drove my wife's Jeep.

Saturday Tried to jump it. Wouldn't even turn over. I got a click (just one, like something was trying to engage).

Today Put a new battery in (500 amp). Got it to start up for a few seconds, then died. Wouldn't even turn over after that, even after another jump.

Is it the alternator? My old battery was a 550 amp, and I ran it for two years with no problems (until this week), so I don't suspect that the 50 less amps are an issue. This all came on really fast -- just over one evening -- much faster than I would expect if it were a dying alternator.

Any thoughts/shared experience would be really appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could it be the altenator? Perhaps, take it to advanced auto zone to have it tested. To me it sounds like it is either the crankshaft positioning sensor or the idle air control

Last edited by greenxj21; 10-07-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 HO

sounds like my CPS adventure .. random .. took awhile but finally went awol / stranded
Old 10-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: '00
Engine: 4.0

Have you checked you battery cable ends?? Both ends check for being loose or corroded. I put on a set of walmart cheapo ends had nothing but trouble out of them. I used heavy duty bolt on ends still trouble finally got a set of pressed ends and problem solved. Any way acted the same way as you are talking
Old 10-07-2012, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by shawn_00x
Have you checked you battery cable ends?? Both ends check for being loose or corroded.
This. If you put a new battery in, and it wouldn't even crank, it can't be the alternator.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:09 PM
ace

The replies are much appreciated guys. I'll follow up once the problem's solved.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:34 PM
ace

So, I replaced the battery terminal connectors today and this solved the "not even cranking" problem. Now it will just turn over and over, but won't start up. I've changed the fuel pump and fuel filter within the last couple of years, but as far as I know the alternator is the original. Maybe time for a new one?
Old 10-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by ace
So, I replaced the battery terminal connectors today and this solved the "not even cranking" problem. Now it will just turn over and over, but won't start up. I've changed the fuel pump and fuel filter within the last couple of years, but as far as I know the alternator is the original. Maybe time for a new one?
Have you checked to see if it is a fuel problem? An altenator problem wont let it not start unless there is no battery power at all.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ace
Do you hear the fuel pump run a few seconds when you turn the key to "ON"?
How about spark- got any? Pull a plug, plug it back into the wire, lay it on metal to ground the shell- watch the gap while cranking.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:38 AM

Ace, I'm also in Tampa and have an extra crank sensor that I know is working. I bought a new one, but it didn't fix my stalling issue. Turned out to be the freakin TPS sensor. You can borrow it to check if that's the problem. I won't charge you for it if you don't need it.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:34 PM
ace

Default Done and done

Originally Posted by Flip
Ace, I'm also in Tampa and have an extra crank sensor that I know is working. I bought a new one, but it didn't fix my stalling issue. Turned out to be the freakin TPS sensor. You can borrow it to check if that's the problem. I won't charge you for it if you don't need it.
Much appreciated buddy! And thanks to everyone who has posted advice. I'm really thankful for the Forum.

Problem is solved. She's running like a top this evening after replacing the IAC and the TPS. The only bad thing when you replace multiple parts is you can't be sure which was the culprit... but I suspect it was the IAC. Take a look at that jank. Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails A '96's Slow Death...-iac.jpg  
Old 10-14-2012, 08:05 PM

lol, DAMN! No problem man. Glad you got it figured out!

EDIT: If you don't mind me asking, how much was the IAC and where did you get it from?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Glad you got it fixed!
Old 10-17-2012, 05:56 PM
ace

Originally Posted by Flip
lol, DAMN! No problem man. Glad you got it figured out!

EDIT: If you don't mind me asking, how much was the IAC and where did you get it from?

I get most of my stuff from rockauto.com. They're cheaper on most parts, but even on the ones they're not, I would rather have it dropped on my doorstep than run all over town trying to find someone who's got the right one.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:58 PM
ace

And, to answer your question, the IAC I got was around $22.

Quick Reply: A '96's Slow Death...