Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 XJ sport power steering and belt related questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 XJ sport power steering and belt related questions

I'd like to start of saying hello, this is my first post but I've lurked a lot.
This is my first vehicle and Prior to did not have any experience dealing with cars. I've used this site to help, clean and fix my NSS, replace high pressure hose from power steering, replace lights, and to fix smaller issues.

Anyways, I have a 96 jeep XJ sport, about 196k miles on it. And I found out it had about 6 small holes in the hph on the power steering pump, and it would shoot out fluid when turning hard, and I mean spray fluid all over the engine. I replaced it, then noticed the other hose had a crack in it, I believe it was a 5/16 hose, and the guys at autozone gave me a 3/8 I believe. I'm not sure if that's the correct size, but I know the size they gave me was slightly bigger. And it all work fine now, but even after bleeding it, it still makes a squelling noise when turning even a tiny bit and I think this is due to air getting into the hose that I replaced. I also have been told it is the belt, and that it had become soaked in ps fluid and that's why it squels which sounds reasonable.

I also have what I believe is a short in the radio/lighter circuit. The fuse is blown and continues to blow.

I'm wondering what I should do regarding these two problems. Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

Also I have notice it doesn't turn over quite as easy as it did a couple weeks ago, the longest it has taken is maybe 2-3 seconds but that's significantly longer than what it had been, should I be concerned?
Old 09-12-2012, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Also I just found out that the cigar lighter has one of the prongs broke