Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 XJ, I'm new here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 XJ, I'm new here.

Not really to sure where to post, but did want to say that I got my xj on memorial day. It's a red 96 xj sport, 4.0, 6" lift with 33's.

I started doing research and that led me to this site. I've been using the search function and that got me a lot of good info. I've learned about the high water temp issue, replacing floor pans etc. I'm working up plans to replace the floor pans, rockers etc.

One thing I'm wanting to know is about painting the xj. Mine is red and I'd like to change it to flat olive drab, or the brighter green on more modern army vehicles. I didnt find to many threads for this, so I'm asking who has done it. How'd ya do it (surface prep and actual paining). What paint did you use etc.
I'm leaning towards scuffing the existing paint and rattle canning over that as I'm not to concerned with anything other than mainly changing the overall color, no runs in the paint and good adhesion.
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by B-17 guy
Not really to sure where to post, but did want to say that I got my xj on memorial day. It's a red 96 xj sport, 4.0, 6" lift with 33's.

I started doing research and that led me to this site. I've been using the search function and that got me a lot of good info. I've learned about the high water temp issue, replacing floor pans etc. I'm working up plans to replace the floor pans, rockers etc.

One thing I'm wanting to know is about painting the xj. Mine is red and I'd like to change it to flat olive drab, or the brighter green on more modern army vehicles. I didnt find to many threads for this, so I'm asking who has done it. How'd ya do it (surface prep and actual paining). What paint did you use etc.
I'm leaning towards scuffing the existing paint and rattle canning over that as I'm not to concerned with anything other than mainly changing the overall color, no runs in the paint and good adhesion.
Thanks in advance.
I think the latest JP magazine has a bit about rattle canning a Jeep. It shows OD paint being rattled on.

Not my preference. I drove OD Jeeps in Vietnam, that was enough for me.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

nice to see a fellow Ohioan, and a fellow 96 XJ to boot!

perchance if you mean 'brighter green' they use now, would you ean Foliage Green? it would be a bit harder pain to match than OD, i think.

However, i think what you described panning to do will work fine, especially with a matte paint. just take your time and do several coats.

I know a guy rattle canning a 92 F150 with $1 Walmart flat black. and so far it looks really nice...
Old 07-01-2014, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken, let me start by saying thank for your service! I'll have to try and track down that issue.

RG, by the modern green I mean the green you would see on a any modern, humvee, 5ton, hemmitt etc. Not that foliage green garbage. The modern green is more green than WWII era OD green.
My biggest question is how to surface prep the existing red factory paint. I dont want to have the new paint falling off in a few months.