Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96' XJ 4.0 5speed with 134k miles; weird sputter and dies

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L High Output
Unhappy 96' XJ 4.0 5speed with 134k miles; weird sputter and dies

I've got a 96 4.0 with 134k miles and a 5speed trans. Couple of weeks ago I had a fuel pump issue that was giving me starting problems. I fixed that with a Bosch pump and airtex streamer(sp?) and soo far everything's been good.

Before reading ahead keep in mind my CEL has been on for my BANK 1 SENSOR 2 o2 sensor and also P0118 ENGINE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR - CIRCUIT HIGH INPUT. These CEL's have been on for weeks but I figured if it's the 2nd o2 I'll be okay for a while. Also, the engine temps have been just fine; I've got an up-country package with HD COOLING and temps stay in the middle.

So my problem starts here, 5 houses away from mine as I'm headed back home from work. As I'm rolling to the stop sign at 25-30mph, in 2nd gear, I let off the throttle for some reason or another but the jeep kept the idle up as if I still had the accelerator pressed and kept going at the same speed. Once I stopped at the stop sign I put it into 1st gear from neutral and as I began to feather the gas and release off the clutch my Jeep decided to sputter and turn off.

I managed to start it 2-3 times but she died right away. Long story short I managed to get it started in the following 5 minutes and drove it the remaining distance home. I left it running while I unplugged each injector clip one-by-one. Each time I pulled one off the idle would go from smooth to rough which is what I expected but would stay the same at around 6-700rpm. When I unplugged the last clip, closest to the firewall, the rpm went back to rough just like it did with the others except it sputtered down and died.

I plugged it back in, tried to start it, right away it fired up, idled fine and the CEL was off. Now does anyone have any freaking clue as to what may be going on?

I've had the Jeep since last June 127k miles, now it's April and I've got 134k miles. I really don't know when the last time the plugs, wires, fuel filter, and cap were replaced.

Anybody want to point me in the right direction? Thanks for the help guys!!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Just went outside to start it up and make sure it's still good to drive to work...

Started right up BUT that damn CEL is back on. I'm gonna find out at work tmrw what the light is on for and gonna go from there. :/
Old 04-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Bump!! Anyone? I've been researching and checked my ECT sensor but it's good so...

ANYONE?? ANY IDEAS?
Old 04-12-2012, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Too wordy.. Lost me.. You replace the o2's yet? Keep it concise, please! More efficient questions means more efficient responses.. Being friendly, btw!!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by VTJeep
Too wordy.. Lost me.. You replace the o2's yet? Keep it concise, please! More efficient questions means more efficient responses.. Being friendly, btw!!
X2
Wow, If I wanted to read that much I would pick up a book. But I'm just to lazy to do that too. LOL
A little less wordy and strait to the point Like VTJeep.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Seasoned Member

^^^^ Exactly why I wrote soo much, so that you guys understand what EXACTLY happened.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.6 Re-Built Golen, 68-200-4 Comp Cam

Airtex streamer? What is that? I wouldn't trust anything with the name Airtex on it.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by CoffeeCommando
Airtex streamer? What is that? I wouldn't trust anything with the name Airtex on it.
I heard that the AIRTEX FUEL PUMPS from autozone are junk so I purchased a Bosch fuel pump and an AIRTEX STREAMER, it's like a fish aquarium filter except for the fuel pump. But yeah... that was almost two months ago I think
Old 04-13-2012, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.6 Re-Built Golen, 68-200-4 Comp Cam

High Input on a coolant temperature sensor, aka CTS, would imply that's not getting to full temperature (unless I'm completely backwards and it's overheating).

Mine sputtered and died after 6 too many overheats after having the radiator replaced. Ended up rebuilding the engine.

I've had the 02 sensor wired wrong before, having the ground going to the ECU and the signal going to ground, and it still ran. It ran extremely rich and you could smell it from inside the cockpit from the exhaust.

I recommend replacing BOTH 02 sensors if you can't figure it out. They're both used in tandem as a reference for the ECU to ensure the catalytic converter is doing it's job. If you do, ONLY use NTK 02 sensors from NAPA.

However, I doubt this is your problem. I'm sure you would benefit from improved gas mileage however.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by CoffeeCommando
High Input on a coolant temperature sensor, aka CTS, would imply that's not getting to full temperature (unless I'm completely backwards and it's overheating).

Mine sputtered and died after 6 too many overheats after having the radiator replaced. Ended up rebuilding the engine.

I've had the 02 sensor wired wrong before, having the ground going to the ECU and the signal going to ground, and it still ran. It ran extremely rich and you could smell it from inside the cockpit from the exhaust.

I recommend replacing BOTH 02 sensors if you can't figure it out. They're both used in tandem as a reference for the ECU to ensure the catalytic converter is doing it's job. If you do, ONLY use NTK 02 sensors from NAPA.

However, I doubt this is your problem. I'm sure you would benefit from improved gas mileage however.
It's definitely getting to operating temperature, dead center in the temp gauge and I hear the aux fans kick on and then off and then a short while later on again; cooling system is running as designed to.

I've never replaced the o2's on this ride but I already ordered an NTK post-cat from rockauto this morning. Hopefully thatll fix my o2 issue.

I'm just gonna go to advance tomorrow and pick up an engine coolant temp sensor, replace it, erase the codes and see what happens.

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!!!