Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 Stock Suspension Priorities on a Budget

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 96 Stock Suspension Priorities on a Budget

Hey, All!

I have a new-to-me 96 Country that has alignment needs, which I plan on resolving this week for $65 at a local shop, after I just put a set of 225/75R15 BF Goodrich Long Trails on the stock honecombs. I've been tinkering underneath with oil change, fuel filter adventures, misc hose replacement and replacing the hitch, and noticed the front bushings are are out of whack and look worn (which could be due to the alignment issue and me expecting them to be worn). Do I spend time and replace the bushings all at once, not bother until I change the shocks (which is my next target project savings), ball joints, and shocks all at once? Is there a priority?? My budget is limited and coming up with the whole ball of wax will take until summer (I still have full fluid workout I need to get done as well exhaust). I guess what I am asking is: can I do what I need now without it being degraded by not doing all at once thus negating the value if I have to replace again sooner. Each stage may take several weeks between but I have a work truck so I don't expect to be driving the XJ more than 100/200 miles a week for fishing and hunting, nor will I take it too far off the road.

My priority is alignment, ball joints, shocks (all around), bushings and possibly leaf springs. If I do decide to raise er up I will not do so until next year and understand the time and efforts of now as a calculated sacrificed expense. I don't plan on getting the bargain-basement parts, but I don't expect I'll be shopping top-shelf either if I am going to just replace everything a little later.

I plan on keeping it stock for now and want to make sure she is safe enough to spend a bit on lighter trails before I go dive all in - in which case I may just get an already established machine and personalize it a bit.

Thank you for your considerations,
Steve
Old 04-10-2012, 08:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by GodlessArcher
My priority is alignment, ball joints, shocks (all around), bushings and possibly leaf springs
That's a good plan right there. It'd probably be best to do ball joints, shocks and bushings at the same time. Because if there is one worn part, it puts more stress on other parts and causes them to wear more quickly than normal.

And to add to your list, take a look at your motor mounts and trans mounts. I only assume that if control arm bushings are original and worn, then so are mounts
Old 04-10-2012, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
That's a good plan right there. It'd probably be best to do ball joints, shocks and bushings at the same time. Because if there is one worn part, it puts more stress on other parts and causes them to wear more quickly than normal.

And to add to your list, take a look at your motor mounts and trans mounts. I only assume that if control arm bushings are original and worn, then so are mounts
Great point!

the more I crawl under there the more I want to do; it all looks so flippin' inviting for some reason.... Nothing looks overly complicated and everything is fairly easy to reach. Heck, the Haynes manual makes it seem like elementary shoe-tying. Now all I need is the cash.......
Old 04-10-2012, 09:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

If you have front end issues, get a buddy to turn the steering wheel while the vehicle is running. Replace anything that is lose and moving that shouldnt be. Tie rod ends and track bar will cause death wobble like instantly when worn out. Watch out for a lose track bar bolt at the axle end that will wobble out the hole and needs a welder to fix. Depending on how bad the ball joints are they can wait, alignment is important but I do my own with a tape measure since the only thing you can adjust is toe in/toe out. You can change the shocks without messing with the alignment.