Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 Jeep Cherokee, replacing Engine mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation 96 Jeep Cherokee, replacing Engine mount

Hello everyone,

This is the most major thing that has happened to my Jeep since I've bought it. My engine dropped. All the bolts busted on the mounts. HELP! I need to know the best brand (link me the site if possible). I do want to also replace whatever else you all think is best since I later, would like to get a 4" lift etc. I drive this thing to Tahoe and back during snow season. Thanks
Old 03-20-2012, 05:09 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.slow

first off, welcome to the forum.

just get an engine mount from napa, advanced auto, etc. unless you're cranking up the horsepower, and taking a few trips to the drag strip, a "super ultra awesome" motor mount isn't going to serve any better purpose than a parts store brand. although i will say, ask them if they have different brands, and get the better (more expensive) of the two. also, use grade 8 bolts.

You ask what else you should replace....replace the broken stuff first. chances are, since it has that dirty 4-letter word, "JEEP" on it, its got some leaks. typical leaks (assuming you have a 4.0) are valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, rear main oil seal, thermostat housing, trans pan gasket. Honestly with out more information its difficult to assess your needs, so just give it a good look over, take the wheels off and check the brakes, check the drive line, etc. If you're not sure what to look for, take it to a shop and let a mechanic do a thorough inspection on it. hope this info helps!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

X2^, I will add, one thing to check is the exhaust manifold, broken/worn motor mounts tend to lead/contribute to this common problem.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:19 PM

So far all this mechanic says I need to fix besides the mount is the steering box. I'm doing it all at once. I was hoping I could get some brands for the mount that will serve purpose later, I am planning to get a lift later and some beefier tires to go out on the dunes out here. So I'm just trying to stay away from stock accessories. If I have to replace it I want to go big or sell this thing for a toyota (NOT)

I also want to know what size tires I can go up on if I have a stock lift right now?

Jeep cherokee sport 4.0 straight 6 liter
Old 03-20-2012, 05:27 PM

Oh! One more thing before I forget. Is there any type of basic things I need to fix before it becomes a huge problem. Literally before I bought this Jeep the previous owner was the original. He never replaced a damn thing besides the radiator and regular tunes and oil changes. thanks.

Last edited by Dredday247; 03-20-2012 at 05:30 PM.