Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 Cherokee XJ 4.0 Proactive maintenace

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 12:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 96 Cherokee XJ 4.0 Proactive maintenace

My coping technique, to compensate for my minimal diagnostic skill set, is to simply replace all the sensors, filters, temp / pressure sending unit(s), electronic ignition, fuel injection pieces parts on this 20 plus year old vehicle to start fresh rather than wait for each part to fail at the most inopportune time requiring diagnosis at $125 to say hello.

The Jeep only has 150K miles and appears to be relatively clean and unmolested but neglected. I paid $3.500 and probably have and additional $1,200 invested so far. Therefore, I don’t mind spending the money to be proactive since the alternative starts at $50K and has faaar more computer, sensors, etc just waiting to fail.

So, . . . can you give me a laundry list of all the sensors, filters, ignition, fuel injection pieces parts most typically known to fail, their location, best brand(s) to seek / avoid, most typical problems to look for, critical for the best mileage, etc?

Thanks
goodyoleboy

The following users liked this post:
Xj.4.0 (06-23-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 12:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

One problem with your idea is that a lot of new parts may or may not be better than what you are replacing. Also, it is just as likely that issues you experience will be due to deteriorating wire and connectors and not the actual parts. I'm in the same boat but also don't want to replace quality mopar pieces with Chinese garbage that seems to fill the parts stores.

I am curious to see what others have to say too.
The following 4 users liked this post by duneslider:
cruiser54 (06-23-2023), Flagdad (08-21-2023), IJM (06-22-2023), lawsoncl (06-24-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 12:44 PM

Received 268 Likes on 186 Posts

Maintenance isn't just replacing things....it is cleaning grounds, cleaning electrical connectors, inspecting all the wiring looking for any signs of insulation wear , chaffing or broken wires. You have many parts to a vehicle, chassis, suspension, drive train, transmission, engine, electrical, cooling and heating, exhaust, etc etc.....Get a copy of a Mopar FSM and read each section for the maintenance that needs to be done and when. You will have a much more satisfying time with the renewing of your Jeep and making it dependable in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
cruiser54 (06-23-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 12:46 PM

Addendum: One of my goals is to install a remote cut out switch inside the cab in lieu of an alarm system. What type of switch ( capacity / amperage rating / etc) should I use, what gauge wire, where should I splice into the wiring, and where can I find the color code for the ignition switch ?

Thanks
goodyoleboy
Old 06-22-2023, 02:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

I think mine has one. I found it yesterday. I have not tested it to verify that is what it is because I was working on a different issue and didn't want to cloud what I was doing. I will give it a try and see if that really is what it is and if it is I will take better pictures and show which wire it is spliced into.

Old 06-22-2023, 03:51 PM

Received 207 Likes on 177 Posts
Year: 1998

Diagnostics are a black art for me too but I didn't pay anything like that for my '97 in Dec. 2017 & it's just passed 151,000 miles. Under the hood all I've changed is oil & filters, coil, dizzie cap, rotor & wires ,for1st major tune-up (silly cheap upgrade kit for price of a set of wires) , water pump, bottom rad hose, alternator & 2 relays (one prob'ly 3 times, 'til I found one that was reliable). I did have to replace the battery - after it'd been standing for about 10 months & the head gasket, but no amount of preventative maintenance could've prevented that.

Of course there's steering, suspension & brakes but, apart from pads, shoes & a few bushings, I've spent more on things I wanted rather than needed.

Check/replace stuff per schedule - & take it on/off the road & enjoy it.

Finally, you may have noticed that nothing that's gone wrong would've been any different had it been 20, 30, even 40, years older.

Of course, I know I've been lucky (as my experience was no different with my previous 2 XJ's) - but there's no reason why you shouldn't be

Old 06-22-2023, 04:10 PM

Hey, Duneslider :

Looks like all you need is little marinara sauce, parmesan cheese, and you'll be good to go! :-)

When you figure it out, please reply with details of how to do it right.

Thanks
goodyoleboy

Old 06-22-2023, 04:24 PM

So it looks like it sounds like a good idea but not really practical.
I've already done the front end, brakes, belts, hoses, water pump, fuel filter, replace all fluids, and all those typical tune up pieces parts, so I'll just give it some long overdue maintenance and see what happens.

Thanks ALL

goodyoleboy
Old 06-22-2023, 08:02 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by duneslider
I think mine has one. I found it yesterday. I have not tested it to verify that is what it is because I was working on a different issue and didn't want to cloud what I was doing. I will give it a try and see if that really is what it is and if it is I will take better pictures and show which wire it is spliced into.
Good lord
Old 06-22-2023, 08:06 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Don't fire the parts cannon goodyoleboy...do yourself a favor and find the factory service manual for your year. Not a Chilton or Hayes, the actual Jeep service manual. It's the best investment you'll make, time and money wise...there's even free copies available out there...
Old 06-22-2023, 09:17 PM

Rogue 4 x 4:

Is the factory manual you're referring to different than the one referenced in other discussions on the forum at:

https://archive.org/details/manuals_...ery=xj+jeep+96

Thanks
goodyoleboy
Old 06-23-2023, 09:09 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 613 Likes on 521 Posts
Year: 96

That is the correct manual.

I do not ever replace factory sensors

I have spare factory sensors from wrecked '96s

I have only had one sensor fail, replaced it with a new one, which failed after 3 mths, put in a used one and all good

aftermarket sensors are not as reliable as old used ones
Old 06-23-2023, 11:10 AM

Sounds like wisdom gained from painful experience to me! :-)

Had I known, I wouldn't have replaced the CPS and tossed what was there. Although, the connector was glued together so likely already replaced at some time before. Live and learn.

I very VAGUELY recall that they are only required to manufacture them for 20 years.

Are there any sources for factory sensors? EBAY, new old stock, or ???

Thanks again all!

goodyoleboy

Old 06-24-2023, 05:03 AM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 613 Likes on 521 Posts
Year: 96

I believe NOS factory Mopar crank sensors come up from time to time on eBay, but they are expensive

The situation is you need a working spare to keep you on the road

The '96 has some one off parts, especially the PCM, you should try and obtain a used spare on if you can, as only a '96 PCM will work in a '96
Old 06-24-2023, 04:55 PM

My CPS / connector saga ( above) is/was
challenging to say the least for this newbie!

Can you elaborate on the PCM, what it does, how it works, typical failings, etc? Also can you tell me how to decipher the year model from the vin number while out at the junk yard and how will I know a "good" PCM from bad?

As always, thanks for the education.

goodyoleboy

Quick Reply: 96 Cherokee XJ 4.0 Proactive maintenace