Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 cherokee sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6
Default 96 cherokee sport

Hi, I just bought a 96 Cherokee sport and im trying to fix the relay fan on it. The fan works fine i have it hardwired right now. Would like to fix it the right way. I replaced the thermostat/aux fan relay/coolant temp sensor and for some reason the relay fan wont kick on. It will let the jeep overheat and still wont turn on. Like I said the fan works I have it hard wired right now. I was wondering where exactly are the fuses i cant find a diagram anywhere to tell me where the fuses are. I do not have the owners manual so i cant check that to tell me what fuse are for what under the hood and under the drivers side. Also it has a vacum leak is there any common problem with the 96 sport that could be a easy fast fix? Thanks and also in new the this site. Hope you all can help i will be back on here a lot lol.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dnic
Hi, I just bought a 96 Cherokee sport and im trying to fix the relay fan on it. The fan works fine i have it hardwired right now. Would like to fix it the right way. I replaced the thermostat/aux fan relay/coolant temp sensor and for some reason the relay fan wont kick on. It will let the jeep overheat and still wont turn on. Like I said the fan works I have it hard wired right now. I was wondering where exactly are the fuses i cant find a diagram anywhere to tell me where the fuses are. I do not have the owners manual so i cant check that to tell me what fuse are for what under the hood and under the drivers side. Also it has a vacum leak is there any common problem with the 96 sport that could be a easy fast fix? Thanks and also in new the this site. Hope you all can help i will be back on here a lot lol.
Leave it hard wired so you can run it when your wheeling or anytime. Thats what I do and it works out great.XJs are natorious for over heating so your better off hard wired. What is your vac leak affecting? Most common on 96 is the defrost and cruise. If this is the case then look between the battery and fender. Theres a line that rubs on the battery and gets a hole in it. Good luck .
Old 04-07-2010, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straight 6

Thanks, I will check but as far as i know the vac leak is affecting the idle. The idle is a little high.