Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 Cherokee No Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 96 Cherokee No Start Problem

Hi everyone.

Let me start off by saying I tried to search for my particular problem and couldn't seem to find anything that's exactly like it. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms so if this is an easy fix or something I'm just missing, I am very sorry.

A friend of ours has a 96 Cherokee Sport with a 4.0 that they've giving away. My sister is in real need for a vehicle so we've been trying to get it running for her. The owners said that the vehicle ran fine before it sat (for about 8 months) but we can't seem to get the darn thing to start.

I'm fairly knowledgeable with parts (work at one of the major parts stores) and I have an idea of what's going on but hopefully you guys may know what's up.

From what I can tell, the thing isn't getting fire or fuel. There's no power going from the Coil to the distributor and no power getting to the Coil itself. There also seems to be no fuel pressure building when I try to prime it. I haven't tried a pressure tester yet but when i hit the shraeder valve on the fuel rail it's just the tiniest spurt of gasoline that comes out.

I've tried poking around the net to find some solutions and before I looked at the fuel pressure (I know dumb move) I went for the Crank sensor on some advice from a friend. After that, still nothing. That led me to a bad ECM. The Check Engine light does not come on when you turn the key over at all. I read this could be a good signal of the ECM being bad. i also read something about the ECM screws being too long and grounding out?

Anyhow, I'm sorry for the lack of info. I wanted to try a computer but the thing is like $250 at work and we just don't have the money to try it out at the moment.

Any answers or insight would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 02-24-2012, 08:28 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Walk me through this from the begining, you turn the key and what happens?

nothing?
the motor cranks but does not fire?

a bad ignition switch could cause the fuel pump and ignition to not work, if the fuel is merely spurting out i would say you have no rail pressure, i had a fuel pump go out on a Malibu and i described it the same way when i tested the pressure at the rail.

throw a little more info my way and we can try to figure it out
Old 02-24-2012, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

check all fuses and grounds first thing then work your way up from there. sitting for 8 months i would think that no fire or fuel might be a wire corrosion problem somewhere.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Litre, Inline 6

i had this iisue with my 99 sport a couple weeks ago, turns out the CrankShaft Position sensor had gone bad... we replaced it and it fired right up...
Old 02-24-2012, 09:07 PM

Year: 1996

The Crankshaft PS was already addressed. With no fire and no fuel,...I would start with the easiest and cheapest fix first,...fuses, connections, and grounding, like Bigwillie said. That's "free". If after that, nothing.... then check fuel pump. Could be gummed up sitting a while and have sucked up trash that has settled. That's where I'd start for fuel issues and then work your way towards the engine. Like ADNC mentions,...need a little more info on fire. Does it "try" to start? Does it turn over at all? No? Then start from battery down (assume you have checked battery and any corrosion). Don't assume there's a good connection with little corrosion at the battery terminals. Take them off and polish them up good, reinstall.

Let us know exactly what you tried and what's going on.

Last edited by mtnance; 02-24-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by ADNC
Walk me through this from the begining, you turn the key and what happens?

nothing?
the motor cranks but does not fire?

a bad ignition switch could cause the fuel pump and ignition to not work, if the fuel is merely spurting out i would say you have no rail pressure, i had a fuel pump go out on a Malibu and i described it the same way when i tested the pressure at the rail.

throw a little more info my way and we can try to figure it out
Thank you guys for helping. Yep, I turn the Key, the motor spins over but will not start. It sounds like a car that's out of time really. Turns over but with no "hit" or sound like it even wants to start.

The Battery is brand new and I've replaced the terminal ends and the cables really had no corrosion.

I tried hitting it with some starting fluid just to see but it's getting no spark either so that doesn't do anything. It seems like it's either the ignition switch itself or the ECM. I tested power going into the coil and it has absolutely nothing. Followed it back to a relay that I replaced and still nothing.

As I mentioned before, turning the key over, the Check Engine light does not come on at all, ever. I was under the impression that it came on, at least briefly, in every car as a sort of "Check" procedure (when the ignition is in the on position). The only light on the dash that comes on is the seat belt light.

I read somewhere that the light not coming on is a sign of a bad ECM but I can't be sure about it.

Thank you all very much for your input. I will try some of the suggestions on here and report back.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:26 PM

One more question. If the Ignition Switch is bad would the engine turn over at all? It does turn over but isn't getting fuel or fire so I'm wondering if the switch could still send the signal for the Starter but not for the Fuel and the Fire?
Old 02-27-2012, 01:18 PM

Year: 1998

speaking generally yes it could, the ignition has multiple legs each leg feeds power to respective areas of the car (ignition, fuel pump, starter, radio, etc..) if the legs are corroded it could not be sending enough of a signal the the pump and ignition saying the car is trying to start.