Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

95 XJ Starter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 95 XJ Starter Replacement

A few months ago I posted here about replacing my starter. I was told that anyone could do this and someone said that they did there's in a Walmart parking lot in the rain. I took a look at this today, and I'm not so sure its that simple. I see one bolt on the bottom, and couldn't see the other. I assume there ate at least 2 holding it on. Anyone know where the second bolt is? TO you get at it from under the hood?
Also, I'm not sure if its the starter. When I turn the key to start, all of the lights inside go off, plus the stereo also goes dark....like there is some sort of large current drain. The reason why I suspect the starter is because 6 months before I took the XJ off of the road, I had a rebuilt starter installed. Also had the ignition switch replaced a couple of years back. Banging on the started with piece of would helped a few months ago, but now it does nothing.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Replacing the starter is as easy as that. I just removed mine to clean all the connection and to make sure it had a good ground. It took me all of 30min to remove it clean it and put it back in. And this is coming from a guy that broke his back 2 times, have a hard time walking and bending and very little feeling in both legs. So it can be done very easy and quick. That is if you know how to work on a vehicle. The thing that will make it easier for the first timer. Before you start make sure to disconnect you battery. Then remove the wires to the starter then remove the bolts holding it in place.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

There's 4 bolts you gotta take off. 2 holding the wires to it and 2 holding the starter to the tranny. You gotta do it from underneath, not from up top with the hood open. Just get down there and LOOK at where the bolts are. It's hard to miss when you're down there. One on bottom, one on top (which is easier to get at from behind IIRC). Take it off, take it to the auto parts store, and have them bench test it to see if that's the cause of your issue
Old 04-07-2013, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
There's 4 bolts you gotta take off. 2 holding the wires to it and 2 holding the starter to the tranny. You gotta do it from underneath, not from up top with the hood open. Just get down there and LOOK at where the bolts are. It's hard to miss when you're down there. One on bottom, one on top (which is easier to get at from behind IIRC). Take it off, take it to the auto parts store, and have them bench test it to see if that's the cause of your issue
So doing it from underneath sounds like its the way to do it, but it's tough to get under there. I would rather not put this on jack stands and crawl under this. Are you suggesting that I should do that?
Old 04-07-2013, 01:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

You shouldn't need to jack it up. Once you've located it under the vehicle you will see. It can be done with wrenches but best to be done with a decent ratchet and socket. Preferable an 82 tooth or better like a snap on.. but don't drop 150 bucks for a ratchet you only use once or twice. Regular craftsman ratchet will do. Qnd accualy u can get a fine tooth craftsman now.but the number one thing to remember is to disconect the batter. DO NOT FORGET TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by ckysodkorn_xj
You shouldn't need to jack it up. Once you've located it under the vehicle you will see. It can be done with wrenches but best to be done with a decent ratchet and socket. Preferable an 82 tooth or better like a snap on.. but don't drop 150 bucks for a ratchet you only use once or twice. Regular craftsman ratchet will do. Qnd accualy u can get a fine tooth craftsman now.but the number one thing to remember is to disconect the batter. DO NOT FORGET TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY.
Thanks for your help on this. I just waned to add one more symptom. I do notice that when I turn on the key, I hear what I think is the fuel pump relay. When I turn the key all the way to start, everything goes dead, like the heater/ac fan and the radio...almost like something is shorting out. Is this indication that the starter is the problem or could it be the ignition switch.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by finiteguy
So doing it from underneath sounds like its the way to do it, but it's tough to get under there. I would rather not put this on jack stands and crawl under this. Are you suggesting that I should do that?
If you're at stock height, you may have to jack it up to get to it. At least, it'd make your life 100x easier. I did this on my buddy's 96 ZJ 4.0L a couple months ago that's at stock height and I had to put it on jack stands. Why wouldn't you want to put it on jack stands? It takes a couple minutes to do so... But yeah underneath is the only way to do it
Old 04-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

Thanks for your help on this. I just waned to add one more symptom. I do notice that when I turn on the key, I hear what I think is the fuel pump relay. When I turn the key all the way to start, everything goes dead, like the heater/ac fan and the radio...almost like something is shorting out. Is this indication that the starter is the problem or could it be the ignition switch.
That's a classic corroded battery terminal symptom. Have you cleaned them to bright shiny lead recently? If not, could save you a lot of hassle chasing phantom causes.

99% of all starting problems are from the battery!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

I think 99% is a slight over exaggeration but I'd agree that most are from the battery/grounds. So clean your terminals and all grounds while you're in there working on things already
Old 04-07-2013, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
I think 99% is a slight over exaggeration but I'd agree that most are from the battery/grounds. So clean your terminals and all grounds while you're in there working on things already
I just went out there and did that. It didn't help. Any other grounds hat I should check other than at the battery?
Old 04-07-2013, 04:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

I just went out there and did that. It didn't help. Any other grounds hat I should check other than at the battery?
Yes Sir! There are several. Other then the battery post. You have the one from the battery to the fender, one on the dip stick, back of the head to the fire wall, Also make sure the starter and alternator are clean and grounded too.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:06 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Radio etc. are supposed to "go dead" while cranking or at least it's normal.

If you are going to work on your Jeep, sooner or later you are going to have to get under it while it is up on jack stands. I changed out the starter on my stock '93 last year for the first time and did it by just driving up on ramps. As I worked I regretted being too lazy to jack it up but I'm 77 and not quite as agile scrooching around on my back under a motor vehicle as I used to be.

Point is, this is one of the easier wrenching jobs you will do on your XJ and you can make it a bit easier or a bit more difficult depending on how high you get it off the ground.

One of the bolts faces forward and one aft which may be why you couldn't find the second one at first.

What exactly are your current symptoms. Are you saying you turn the key to start and nothing happens except all electrical components shut down. These symptoms suggest that the relay is working and could point to a bad starter provided all cable terminals have been cleaned and battery is good.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:47 PM

Year: 1991

There should be 2 bolts holding the starter on...the lower bolt head faces forward and the upper bolt head faces aft...they each take different size sockets IIRC. Maybe you can't find the upper bolt because perhaps it was not reinstalled when the starter was last changed out ???

btw...the fact that you had to hit the starter to make it work is a sure sign that the starter is fubar.

Last edited by Carl48; 04-07-2013 at 06:53 PM. Reason: addendum
Old 04-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L i6

Don't feel bad. If someone on a forum says it takes 30 minutes, budget 2-4 hours just to be safe.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

I didn't see the part about having to bang on it to get it to start. You are more than likely looking at a new starter. So here's what you need to do: jack up the jeep, put it up on jack stands, disconnect the battery, take off the 2 bolts holding the wires to the starter, take off the two bolts that mounts the starter, take it into your local auto parts store and have them bench test it to see if it is still good, buy and install new one if need be. If they determine it's still good, which they probably won't, report back an we'll help you from there

Quick Reply: 95 XJ Starter Replacement