Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

95 xj shuts off randomly and wont start back

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O
Angry 95 xj shuts off randomly and wont start back

I just bought a 95 xj it shuts of for no apparent reason somtimes it starts right back up somtimes it wont,also somtimes it will shut off when i make turns.i have a idea on the map sensor or crank position sensor but them things are kinda expensive so i dont wanna go spending a bunch of cash on a bunch of sensors that may not be the problem to begin with,is there any way of testing the sensors to find out which one may be bad??
Old 02-15-2012, 06:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Crank sensor can be tested for resistance and the MAP sensor can also be tested. But beware that testing of the crank sensor would have to be done WHEN the vehicle doesn't start. Testing it any other time will most likely yield measurements that are in spec.

Check for codes. The "how-to" is listed below. This technique can be done by you without a code reader and it will take about 5 minutes. Post any code(s) here for comment.

What you are describing sounds more like a crank sensor. If you replace it, please do yourself a big favor and buy it directly from Jeep. There are no lack of threads of people that have had trouble with some (not all) aftermarket crank sensors. Don't take the chance. Buy a MOPAR crank sensor. Best money you will ever spend, considering that it is the most critical engine management sensor on the engine.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
OBDI models (1991-1995) - Start with the ignition off. Within five seconds, switch the key on, off, on, off, on. ("On" is NOT "Start" and "Off" is NOT "Lock"). The "check engine" light will flash. Count the flashes. Each code is a two digit code, so a (for example) 23 would be FLASH FLASH (pause) FLASH FLASH FLASH (long pause). It will never flash more than 9 times, so watch for those pauses!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Also when it won't start you can try unplugging and replugging it. Maybe just "lore" but I read that if that works, it's time for a new one.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

crank position sensor is resting on the exhaust manifold. the wires are burnt and shorting.

confirm that, and let me know.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 H.O
Talking WOW

hey thanks for all the help it turns out the previous owner never told me when he replaced the fuel pump he messed it up so when it reads half a tank its out of fuel...feel kinda stupid...hey but thanks guys....