Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

95 xj, bearing noise? PS pump? H2O pump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default 95 xj, bearing noise? PS pump? H2O pump?

So last night the wife and I drove home and as we were pulling in, we heard an odd noise.

It's hard to describe exactly, but it sounded like the power steering was low on fluid, but not as harsh. Checked, and sure enough, I was low on PS fluid, so I topped it off (to the proper fill line).

This morning, heard the same noise when I started her up, and again checked the PS fluid, but it was fine. Drove it around for a bit and the noise remained, but there was no change to the power steering. It feels great! Double checked the fluid, and it didn't change.

When I popped the hood, the sound came from the PS pump area, but that's also above my water pump, and where the AC compressor would be (which was removed a few years ago).

It smells a bit like the belt is burning a bit, but not strongly (I can only smell a hint every once in a long while) so I'm thinking that I might have a pulley bearing going bad somewhere, but I have no idea where to start.

Money is ungodly tight, and this is our only vehicle, so throwing random parts at the problem isn't an option.

My questions are these:

1. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

2. When I take off the belt, if it is a bearing, should I be able to feel it when I turn it by hand?

3. If it is the PS pump, should I also do the H2O pump?

4. How difficult a job is this? (I've seen a few write-ups, and they don't look too difficult separately, but I have a herniated disc and no insurance and have no other choice but to do the work myself.)

Thank you for any information you can share!
-Ryan
Old 01-30-2012, 11:35 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by Magiksreal
So last night the wife and I drove home and as we were pulling in, we heard an odd noise.
It's hard to describe exactly, but it sounded like the power steering was low on fluid, but not as harsh. Checked, and sure enough, I was low on PS fluid, so I topped it off (to the proper fill line).
This morning, heard the same noise when I started her up, and again checked the PS fluid, but it was fine. Drove it around for a bit and the noise remained, but there was no change to the power steering. It feels great! Double checked the fluid, and it didn't change.
It smells a bit like the belt is burning a bit, but not strongly (I can only smell a hint every once in a long while) so I'm thinking that I might have a pulley bearing going bad somewhere, but I have no idea where to start.
My questions are these:

1. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?
Kinda.. First test i'd do is get a squirt bottle with a fine stream and use water to wet the ribbed portion of the belt while it's running/squeeking.. Carefully! don't stick yer hand or shirt in there
If the noise stops or gets quieter when wet, but returns as the belt dries, that's 'chirp' and indicates pulley misalignment. (see video)

2. When I take off the belt, if it is a bearing, should I be able to feel it when I turn it by hand? Usually, yes. But view the video first.
One thing you didn't mention is the harmonic balancer. The main pulley on the crankshaft. They are a two piece steel pulley with rubber sandwiched in between. The rubber can go bad and the pulley separates, causing mis-alignment and can possibly end up rubbing on the front of the engine. It can rub thru the timing chain cover.. you do NOT want that.

3. If it is the PS pump, should I also do the H2O pump?
If you have to replace the PS pump, it would be a good time to replace the water pump as you have to move it(PS pump) to get to the water pump anyway. If just replacing the water pump it's not necessary to disconnect the PS pump hoses.. you can just move it aside.

4. How difficult a job is this? (I've seen a few write-ups, and they don't look too difficult separately, but I have a herniated disc and no insurance and have no other choice but to do the work myself.)
Not too difficult, no, but it is time consuming. Allow yourself a weekend and take pics if you can. The PS bracket is confusing enough when it's ON the Jeep. When it's off, it's hard to 'see' how to put it back on. (for me anyway)
Thank you for any information you can share!
-Ryan
Look at this video.. very informative
Old 01-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

if its the same bearing noise mine had its a bad H2o pump if that helps i think its the most likely thing to go out
Old 01-31-2012, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: I6

Thanks for the vid and the advice. Looks like tomorrow will be a long day...
Old 01-31-2012, 08:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

i couldnt get the vid to play so not sure what was on it. but if the bearings in a pully are bad it will have side to side play in it. check the idler pully first. ive repalced a million of these from a chirp or grind. i also use a 15" 3/8 drive ext. like a stethascope, put one end to your ear and the other on the water pump etc. while running, this will suprise you on how well it works.