Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'95 Grand Cherokee Loreda with Intermittent Bogging

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '95 Grand Cherokee Loreda with Intermittent Bogging

I have a 95 Grand Cherokee Laredo with an intermittent bogging out issue, almost like it's out of gas. Wierd thing is , I let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes and then no problems. I had replaced the fuel pump and filter about a year ago, seemed to fix the issue. At that time the problem was not that prevalent... I'd drive on the turnpike for 40 miles, when I slowed at a toll it would have the bogging issue when I tried to speed up coming out of the toll. Once again, a 5 or 10 minute rest and I could drive the rest of my trip( about 50 more miles). Now it does it after 10 or 20 miles and after giving it a rest, it does it again 10 or 20 miles after that.

I'm thinking if it were the filter it would have this issue constantly. I've run some premium gas and Lucas thru, no change. No check engine light when it happens. Could this be electrical ? Computer ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You could have a bunch of crap in the tank and it's clogging the fuel sock on the pump. Or it could be the cat converter clogging when it gets hot. Get a vacuum gauge and a fuel pressure gauge, the drive your normal route while watching the two gauges. If you start to lose vacuum and actually have pressure on the vacuum gauge when it starts to bog, you have a clogged exhaust. And if you start losing fuel pressure when it bogs, you have a bad pump or a clogged sock/strainer.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:52 AM

Busted, thanks. I will check the fuel pressure today. Yesterday the issue got so bad I had to stop about 5 times during a 10 mile drive. When it started bogging I put the car in neutral then shut the engine off as I was rolling. When I restarted, it seemed to go right away, temporarily.

Some additional info, I noticed some oil blow back in the air filter ( rings? ), could this screw the exhaust up ? Also, the cat was removed when I replaced the muffle last year. Sounding more and more like the fuel pump I got crapped the bed. I remember the guys who did it just replaced the pump itself, not the whole housing.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:03 PM

Could the fuel pump housing be an issue, since it happens more when the tank is 1/4 full or less ?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Replace the whole module, not just the pump inside.