Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

94 XJ power windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 94 XJ power windows

Hi everyone, I just found a great way to run out of money spend my summer, a half dead XJ. Aside from some obvious stuff like tires, a hole in a floorboard and a dead battery, it's in fantastic, though grungy shape. Only problem I can't figure out is my rear driver-side power window, which won't rise.

All the fixes I can find are for 97+ XJs, so I'm a bit lost trying to figure out what to do. I took the door card off and the glass is good, and the window motor is clicking but it's not doing anything. Anyone have an idea how to troubleshoot this without chucking parts at it?
Old 06-04-2016, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter

Originally Posted by GomerPyle
Hi everyone, I just found a great way to run out of money spend my summer, a half dead XJ. Aside from some obvious stuff like tires, a hole in a floorboard and a dead battery, it's in fantastic, though grungy shape. Only problem I can't figure out is my rear driver-side power window, which won't rise.

All the fixes I can find are for 97+ XJs, so I'm a bit lost trying to figure out what to do. I took the door card off and the glass is good, and the window motor is clicking but it's not doing anything. Anyone have an idea how to troubleshoot this without chucking parts at it?
I have had lots of problems with my power windows on my 95, and it has always been the motor/track combination that screwed up. After spending way to much on an oem replacement, I have gone to the pick a part yards, and pulling them out of similar year xjs they have. All the yards usually have a battery you can test them with, but I'd recommend bringin your own voltage tester and using the wires off of that. Even though they aren't brand new, on 50% off days I got one for like 10 dollars. Reason I suggest this is it sounds like your window motor is getting power, so unless you want to first grease all the tracks to try and smooth things out. I use like a white nylon spray or something like that, but it is a dry lubricant. Good Luck