Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

94 XJ headlamp/headlight problem?

Old 01-01-2017, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 94 XJ headlamp/headlight problem?

I recently started getting into jeeps pretty hardcore in early 2016 so I decided to invest in an old 94 XJ 4 wheel drive with the old inline 6. Of course it had its issues and most were an easy fix with a little time and extra change. But I ran into a problem with my headlights. When I pull the headlight plunger all lights come on and work normal like they are supposed to except the headlights low beams. But here's the catch, when I click the switch for high beams they come on but shut back off when I release it. And the high beams won't stay on unless I hold the switch back. Then when I release the switch the headlights go out completely and won't stay on. I had a little trouble with it before and got it to work properly just tinkering around with it but they stopped again and I would rather try to ask around and figure out what the problem is before I start to dig into it again. Any ideas on here of what the problem may be?
Old 01-01-2017, 10:23 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

The dimmer switch is probably bad or out of adjustment.

It's located on the steering column and is actuated via a rod from above. Poke your head under there and actuate the lever. You'll see it.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999

To expand upon that, over time the headlight switch burns out due to the load put on it. You should get a new headlight switch & a headlight harness upgrade. The light output will vastly improve with the new harness.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997

I have a 97 at first no low beams high beams both worked no nothing on right side high beam on left still works any thoughts
Old 01-04-2017, 02:24 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

i had an open wire inside the insulation right at the 3 pin connector.
i spliced in a new conn,,,fix...
Old 01-05-2017, 06:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

Originally Posted by sbrown
I have a 97 at first no low beams high beams both worked no nothing on right side high beam on left still works any thoughts

Yes, I have two thoughts:

1. You should use punctuation and write coherent sentences. If you aren't going to put any effort into asking a question properly, why should we put any effort into helping you?
  2. You should not hijack threads.