Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

94 XJ Dome light wire identification

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 94 XJ Dome light wire identification

Purchased a 94' xj a few months ago and the interior dome light has never worked. It didn't bother me ever, but im bored and figure I may as well fix it....

There is only one dome light on the headliner and it has no switch; just the basic light and cover that I assume is turned on and off with the headlight pull switch and opening/closing of doors.

The fuses are ok, the bulb is ok. The wires that go to the light fixture itself are not connected, so obviously that is the issue...but my issue is that I'm not positive where they go. There is a black wire which I assume is ground, a pink one where I get +12v and a yellow wire (-12v). Correct me if my multimeter was somehow wrong.....

Problem is that these three wires are separate and not contained in a plug, while the dome light side has a plug. This plug has only two prongs inside it so I'm not sure where my third wire goes.

Is the black ground supposed to connect somewhere else and the (+)12v and (-)12v go to the light? That doesn't really make sense to me, but what do I know.. haha...I tried connecting just the pink (+)12v and ground to the light. That made the light work, but it would not turn off...

As you can see I've really only half-*** troubleshooted this problem, but I figured if anyone has a quick easy answer to where these wires go, it would save me the rest of the night fumbling around in my jeep with a flashlight blowing fuses.....Thanks!
Old 09-06-2010, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Problem solved.... Pink and yellow wires to the bulb and grounded the black wire to the fixture mounts on the roof.

Still confuses me tho why there was no obvious location for the ground wire..