Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

94 xj a/c compressor and or clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Default 94 xj a/c compressor and or clutch

hey,

my air conditioning is not working or kicking in, ive been reading about and had the low pressure switch jumped to see if the clutch kicks in and it didnt.

when im searching online for another clutch i find one for 218$ (clutch only)
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/m.../jeep/cherokee

also i find online from the same brand Murray a compressor with clutch for 215$ on the same site, Oreilly's
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/m.../jeep/cherokee

now money wise you would go for the whole complete setup instead of getting the clutch only since its the same brand anyway. i dont understand this difference in price

marc

edit: im not in a big hurry fixing this problem just gathering information

Last edited by LadyKenai; 09-27-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I haven't had my XJ AC apart, but on many vehicles the clutch coil can be bought separately from an entire clutch kit. It is the magnet that engages the clutch when 12v is applied to it. Typically you would want to test for continuity in the clutch coil to isolate if it is the problem. Then go about seeing if you can replace just the coil.

I have not done this on my XJ, so I am not trying to be an expert. But I just went through this on my 2003 Accord, and the clutch was something around $200+ (and included a new coil). I troubleshot/isolated the coil as the problem, and replaced it alone for around $30 (amazon).
Old 09-27-2017, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I just did a quick search or two, and it looks like on our vintage Jeeps it is sold as a clutch/coil assembly. But 200+ for just the clutch/coil is too much based on my quick look-see.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I found the same thing. It does not seem to make sense to only replace the clutch if the whole compressor is practically the same cost, other than not having to deal with recharging refrigerant.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

i didnt realize this but the clutch assembly by itself is brandnew and the complete compressor with clutch is remanufactored. that of course can make difference in price

marc