Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

94 Cherokee automatically locks keys inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 94 Cherokee automatically locks keys inside

Twice today, my 1994 Cherokee locked its only key inside, when I closed the driver door.
The 1st time, the key was turned to the ignition 'on' position, only so I could shift into neutral, to roll the Cherokee out of the garage.
My mistake was closing the door, which locked itself(I'm not sure exactly when), and I disconnected the battery to at least stop the electrical system.
Tonight, a local mechanic was able to use an improvised tool to pick the lock, in less than 1 minute.
When I started the LPG dedicated engine to demonstrate its slow duration starting sequence, I repeated the mistake, and closed the door, which again locked itself, with no rolling motion(if a motion sensor is involved).
With the engine running, the mechanic picked the lock for the 2nd time in 5 minutes, and I made sure not to close the door from outside anymore with the keys inside.
I'll get a spare key tomorrow, and will not close the door unless I'm inside.
With the keys out of the ignition, the door can be closed, without the automatic locking.
Is this security normal?
Thanks.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

So..... it only locks the doors automatically if you've left the keys in the ignition? Engineering must've worked overtime on that one.

Dunno if that's normal...mine doesn't automatically lock the doors under any circumstance. Might be some sort of "option"? Aftermarket RKE?
Old 07-09-2012, 02:09 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Old 07-09-2012, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Radi
So..... it only locks the doors automatically if you've left the keys in the ignition? Engineering must've worked overtime on that one.

Dunno if that's normal...mine doesn't automatically lock the doors under any circumstance. Might be some sort of "option"? Aftermarket RKE?
Yes, Radi, I just went out to the garage, without the key, opened and closed the door, with no automatic locking. If the keys are in the ignition in the 'on' position, engine running or not, closing the door seems to lock the door, with me outside.
If the key is in the ignition at the 'remove' position, I'm not sure...rolling down the window or opening another door, would make the test of that safer.
It does have an alarm system, and I don't know which, but I'll have to find out.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

I always carry a spare key in my wallet. My '91 limited doesn't do that, but I've still managed to lock my self out of it too many times.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

I'd say it's an aftermarket security system malfunction.

My wife had a cavalier years ago that would lock and unlock the doors while driving at highway speed and shut off the ignition randomly. A chevy dealer we took it to found a black box up under the dash that was the remains of an old aftermarket alarm system. Once they took that out, it ran fine.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by timberwolf
I'd say it's an aftermarket security system malfunction.

My wife had a cavalier years ago that would lock and unlock the doors while driving at highway speed and shut off the ignition randomly. A chevy dealer we took it to found a black box up under the dash that was the remains of an old aftermarket alarm system. Once they took that out, it ran fine.
It's not a malfunction. It's a feature. Most likely the alarm (either factory or aftermarket) has passive/active arming set.

Here's a link to something I found.
http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1i/bl152i.htm
Old 07-09-2012, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

It's because it thinks you're IN the vehicle and it's locking the doors to prevent someone carjacking you/a child falling out.

Don't leave the key in the "on" position unless you have a window down or you're in the vehicle.

My 96 Cutlass had stupid auto locking doors that locked whenever you put it in gear, but didn't automatically unlock. Frustrated me.

Thankfully my XJ does not have auto locking doors - or if it does, the feature is disabled. It lets ME lock my doors when I wish.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Seasoned Member

normally those systems should only lock after it is running, in gear and moving, not with just the key on
Old 07-09-2012, 03:54 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Originally Posted by timberwolf
normally those systems should only lock after it is running, in gear and moving, not with just the key on
My 98 Yukon did that as soon as you turned the key on as well. Apparently it was such an annoyance to the PO that they disabled the electric lock motor on the driver's door.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by waterdog
It does have an alarm system, and I don't know which, but I'll have to find out.

Hopefully not a Silencer. Chrysler dealers were stuffing those in everything for several years. (big profits).
They do not age well, they used low-grade components, the capacitors in particular dry out and cause malfunctions. And of course the *only* place to get wiring diagrams is from a dealership that installed them. They are not available online anywhere. \

Now that I've droned on about it, in case anyone needs the info- Silencers "lock" the engine using one or more of the following:
1) Relay interrupting a wire from the ignition switch
2) Replacement fuel pump relay that can be remote controlled
3) Replacement ignition/starter relay that can be remote controlled.
The controller is almost always stuffed up above the steering column, behind the dash.
You have to make sure you remove ALL modifications, a partial removal will leave you with a disabled vehicle.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:53 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Lol... Stellar... Yet another reason people so lovingly refer to them as Stealerships.