Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

93ish Overhead Console?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 93ish Overhead Console?

Anybody have this style console in there Jeep?
If you do... Do any of the overhead lights come on when the door is open or the headlight switch is rotated fully counter clockwise?

I’m trying to retrofit one into my stripped down rig and did not get the complete harness. If you have one, do the three connectors that lead from the passenger side kick panel up to the console merge into a green connector in the kick panel area?

I thought I was going to have the complete harness but it turned out to be about 15 feet of copper that was for the old police light bar and antennas…
Attached Images   

Last edited by Cheap$200Jeep; 11-27-2009 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Dome lights?
Old 11-17-2009, 09:51 AM

Default Temp Sensor?

I guess I'll have to go to the Bbone-Yard and see if I can find a factory harness.

Can someone, please, tell me where the Temp sending unit is and what it looks like?

Console is out of a 92, installing (I Hope!) in a 93.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:02 AM
XJD

Year: This one's a 96'....

Hey what is that little black bump on there? It's about 3/4 to the back of the console.....I've seen it in a few of my XJ's before (without the console) and it's wired but I have know idea what it is and I've always wondered.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by XJD
Hey what is that little black bump on there? It's about 3/4 to the back of the console.....I've seen it in a few of my XJ's before (without the console) and it's wired but I have know idea what it is and I've always wondered.

That' the Keyless entry. Not sure if another module ties in with it to make it work. I got the key fob with the console but need to get it wired to see if it works...

Jeep Service wants $180 for a FOB and reprogramming but the programming steps are so simple that a "Blind Monkey" can do it! I guess the price of Jeep Bananas is up!
Old 11-17-2009, 10:37 AM
XJD

Year: This one's a 96'....

Originally Posted by Cheap$200Jeep
That' the Keyless entry. Not sure if another module ties in with it to make it work. I got the key fob with the console but need to get it wired to see if it works...

Jeep Service wants $180 for a FOB and reprogramming but the programming steps are so simple that a "Blind Monkey" can do it! I guess the price of Jeep Bananas is up!
Oh cool yeah that makes sense, it's only been on the p lock jeeps I had. lol no wonder why I never knew.......never got the orig fob. Thanks for answering
Old 11-27-2009, 01:19 PM

Default Do you have this style?

If you do... Do any of the overhead lights come on when the door is open or the headlight switch is rotated fully counter clockwise?
Old 11-28-2009, 08:01 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 HO

I've got that in my 91'. None of the lights work and the Temp/Comp. doesn't work half the time. Would love to fix. How hard was it to pull?
Old 11-28-2009, 08:06 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cheap$200Jeep
I guess I'll have to go to the Bbone-Yard and see if I can find a factory harness.

Can someone, please, tell me where the Temp sending unit is and what it looks like?

Console is out of a 92, installing (I Hope!) in a 93.
There are two temp. sending units on my 91. One on the thermostat housing. It talks to the computer and controlls the electric fan. Number two is on the block close to the fire wall. It has one wire running to it and it talks to the guage on the dash.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Timber Wolf
I've got that in my 91'. None of the lights work and the Temp/Comp. doesn't work half the time. Would love to fix. How hard was it to pull?
This style is very easy to pull down. One screw up front and it slides aft off the brackets that are mounted to the roof.

Getting it to work may be another thing. At least you had it from the factory and have all the components...

I can not find the wireing diagrams and have resolved myself to just getting the lights to work correctly and may customize the thing for mounting switches and CB...

When yours is working corectly, do any of the overhead lights come on when you open your doors?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:32 AM

There was a thread that I came across the other day concerning wiring diagrams. I'll try to find it for you later. Or you coud give it a shot. As far as them working when the door is opened, I don't think so.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Timber Wolf
There was a thread that I came across the other day concerning wiring diagrams. I'll try to find it for you later. Or you coud give it a shot. As far as them working when the door is opened, I don't think so.
Thanks! I have spent some time searching and come up with everything I could want about other styles... Until I can come up with the cash to go pull a complete harness from the bone-yard, I have resolved myself to just getting the lights wired properly.

If I can't find a wiring diagram for this style I am about a heartbeat away from pulling it and customizing it for switches and a CB...
Old 11-29-2009, 12:10 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 liter

there was a console like that for sale. I believe its still for sale.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:47 PM

Found the thread https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/wiring-diagrams-22194/
Pulled mine down last night. Man I was ready to throw that POS right out the garage door. Got the lights to work but than the front lights wouldn't turn off. Compass/temp still aint workin. Yes the lights come on when the door is opened.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:56 PM

Year: 1992

I know this is an old thread but I've gone through almost 15 pages of search results and this one was the only one that might have had any info I needed. Only problem is the link Timber Wolf posted is no longer any good.

I've got a 92 Loredo and I picked up an overhead console off eBay for a 93-95 from what the seller listed. I'm wondering if I need to buy the brackets for the 93 console or for my 92 vehicle?

I'm also looking for a wiring schematic for either year or if anyone knows of the wiring is already there and everything should just plug in.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2011, 03:32 AM

Default Bump Bump

...Bump Bump Bump...

Quick Reply: 93ish Overhead Console?