Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

93 xj AC running off battery ?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default 93 xj AC running off battery ?!?!

I have a 93 jeep cherokee sport straight six I bought the end of May. The radio was working fine then one day I hit a bump and it just stopped, not completely, it just lost reception I guess.. And over the next few days it would work great for first few mins of driving then world get staticky again. The aux/ cd still worked fine but the radio was all static.. I checked to see if outside antenna was screwed in, it was, and so was it's connection to the back of the radio. So then I figured it was the wire connections because they'd been taped together w electrical tape that when fiddled w would start getting clearer reception. Thought maybe since it's been sooooo hot the tape was melting and causing the problem. So I tried reconnecting them exactly as they were w some twisty orange things but it didn't work... At first (before I put the radio back I'm the dash) it worked on cd and aux but it would never stay on long enough for me to switch it to tuner to see if that was working. The volume wasn't working either idt. It would read cd, act like it was gonna play then shut off and come back on. It kept on, on and off, on and off. It got dark so I just put it back in the dash and said screw it bc at this point I was getting ill w it. Well then when I tightened the battery bolt back up, closed the hood, came back around to grab the tools out the front I realized my ac was blowing. So I took the key out but the ac was still on... I was overly done w it all by this time seriously.. so I just switched the ac to off and went inside to go to bed. That was Friday night, Saturday nothing worked as far as the radio but the ac was fine I just kept switching it off everytime I got out. Fast forward to Sunday night when I went to leave work.. it wouldn't crank. Dead battery. My manager mentioned to me like an hour before we left, literally, that if I didn't get it looked at and fixed soon I'd kill my battery bc it sounded to him like the ac was running off of my battery... So I had a friend look at it and they said I didn't tap into the ac bc it wasn't touched at all.. But In the meantime the only thing we knew to do was to take the radio out of the dash so I can unplug the ac every time I park..

So yeah that's where I'm at now... Any advice on what I should do next, or similar situations, or anything would be greatly appreciated!!

And please feel free to tell me exactly what I did wrong. I don't mind at all! Thx in advance.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 300 Likes on 249 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Change your AC relay in the PDC (the underhood box where the relays and fuses are situated) with a known good relay. Sounds like it's stuck closed. Had the same with my efan...would stay on with key out.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Roler
Change your AC relay in the PDC (the underhood box where the relays and fuses are situated) with a known good relay. Sounds like it's stuck closed. Had the same with my efan...would stay on with key out.
Okay thanks.. I'm going to look into it. Do you have any idea why me messing with the radio brought all this about?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 300 Likes on 249 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

No, but check the band-like ground connection between back of the engine block near valve cover that runs to the firewall.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:58 PM

Okay so today I had my gf help me and we rewired the radio connections one by one using the crimp connectors and the ac, aux, and cd are all working just like before. Just the radio is completely out now it doesn't even pick up static. How odd is that.. it doesn't make much sense to me.