Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

93 Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 93 Won't Start

Ok, have a '93 4 Liter, had it sitting for a while but ran it periodically. Went to start it one day, stepped on the brakes after I started her and my brake lines blew. After about a week of fixing the brakes, went to start her again and had it wouldn't start.

Battery is charged, everything electronically seemed (and sounds) to be correct. I thought it would be related to fuel in some manner. I replaced the fuel filter, and still same issue...

If this helps, basically, I can turn the key to start it-and everything sounds right for it to turn over, but it just doesn't. And If I step on the throttle some, the engine actually turns, and it "feels" like its about to turn on, then as soon as you let go the engine stops.

Hope this makes sense. Please let me know as soon as possible where and what to do! - As of a week ago, there were no engine codes errors either.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by freephillips
Ok, have a '93 4 Liter, had it sitting for a while

First how long is a while? A week? A month? A Year? More?

Second check EVERY fuse for continuity. Turn the key to on. If you have a 12v tester attach the aligator clip to a good ground and touch the tip to the both bare spots on the fuse. If the light turns illuminates when you touch one side but not the other then the fuse is bad and replace it.

Third if you turn the key to the on position can you hear the fuel pump kicking up?

Fourth check to see if you are getting fuel to the fuel rail.
Turn the key to the on position. Then back off after 5 seconds. Wait a couple and repeat about 5 times. This will prime the fuel system. Get a rag and a flathead. Cover the tip of the flathead and depress the valve on the end of the fuel rail. Fuel should come out. If not your not getting the pressure and you have a problem with the fuel pump.

If its not the fuel pump then you need to check the ignition system and the main engine sensors.

From what you described it sounds like a fuel problem to me though.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:23 PM

Sitting for MAYBE 2 weeks tops.

Ok...I haven't checked any fuses yet. Don't know why, just didn't even think about it quite frankly. Will check that tomorrow.

When the key is turned to the On Position, yes, the Fuel Pump sounds like it engages.

In regards to the fuel rail, I checked that a couple days ago and fuel did come out when pushing the little valve.

I want to check the ignition system and sensors, just not entirely sure where to start. Also, don't know if it makes a different or not, but I'm not getting any engine codes will checking for them.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:27 PM

All the fuses have been checked, nothing is blown. checked the relay's relating to fuel system, they were fine. (all this was done with a voltmeter)
Again, no engine codes are showing.
When turned to the on position, it still sounds like the fuel pump engages.

I checked a couple different sensors to see if anything was off electronically. The TPS was reading correctly, as was the crank sensor. Didn't check the MAP cause I didn't have a vaccuum of sort.

Also, yesterday just attempted to fire the Jeep up, and was reading numerous things online. Basically, fired her up and kept on stepping on the throttle and eventually straightened it out and got it to stay running after maybe 5-7 minutes of pushing the throttle. Ran it without any excess effort on the throttle; turned off the Jeep, then attempted to start it again, and the Jeep wouldn't start, only by continually pushing the throttle.

Still, in my mind, definitely fuel related. My buddy and I collectively thought there would have to be something wrong with the fuel pump, but I'd rather not buy a new pump just for giggles-I want to make sure thats what I need.

Please post back with some thoughts.