Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

93 Sport needs a new motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation 93 Sport needs a new motor

BEFORE I START, THERE ARE POSSIBLY THREE ENGINES BEING PULLED HERE, below are my questions.

I would like to put an 87 4.0 motor into my 93 Cherokee. Im looking for any way to do it without having to send any parts off to a machine shop (maybe swapping heads, buying a new head, swapping out any parts possible to make it work). I already own the 87 4.0, so I want to be able to use it. Below is more info on what I am trying to accomplish.

I have three jeeps, they are as following

1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 2Door
4.0ho inline 6
AX15 Manual Tranny
Rusted, and has 290k miles

1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 4Door
4.0ho inline 6
Auto Tranny
Everything is good on it has 198k miles

1987 Jeep Comanche 2x4
4.0 inline 6
Manual Peugot Tranny something like that (not the ax15)
Rusted out, 80k miles on motor, but no gas to motor so I've never heard it start, only crank

I bought the Comanche as a parts vehicle for $50, and it has everything with it in decent condition the body is just rusted out.

So I am driving my 2door cherokee as a daily because it has the most miles and I want to baby it, while my 4door is my offroad vehicle and I use it in the woods. The 2door is knocking and feels like its not nearly as powerful as the 4door (dont know if this knock is in the upper or lower end, ive heard both stories) knock goes away slightly once the motor heats up, but I want it to last a little while longer before I decide to buy a little car.

So my plan is this, since I know for a fact that my 4Door motor runs perfectly and I plan on keeping the jeep as my 4x4 Offroad vehicle I would like this jeep to ultimately be in the best condition. (But at the same time, this jeep does not need to be driven daily so I can swap the motor out as a "test" swap and not have to worry about a time frame) I would like to swap the 87 motor into this jeep, and replace my worn out 290k motor in my daily driver with the 200k mile motor from this jeep.

so the 87 4.0 goes into the 93 cherokee, and then just swapping the 4.0ho motor from that 93 into the other 93 cherokee

If needed, I am willing to buy a new head for the 87 block in order to make it work.

Sorry if this is confusing, I've never done anything like this. I've done alot of work on these jeeps, so I know I can do it; I just need to be guided in the right direction.

I can answer any questions you have to clarify something and make it less confusing, tried to color coordinate lol dont know if that helps any

Last edited by Sexton; 04-28-2011 at 10:40 AM.