Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

93 cherokke sport slave cylinder "issues"...

Old 06-07-2013, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 93 cherokke sport slave cylinder "issues"...

hey all, my 93 sport one frigid cold morning, developed clutch issues (little/no action). it was out of the blue... went to start it, stepped on the pedal seemed at 1st overly stiff... then poof... to the floor. got out and checked the fluid you guessed it virtually nothing!

after buying it (a month or so prior) from my son, i NEVER did check the reservoir and fairly certain he hadn't checked it either since the clutch was done like 50k miles ago it's a 5spd and don't ask me what trany it is, cause idk. overall the jeep in pretty good shape been in the family since new with all adult owners and/or drivers.

my question to you experts and backyard wizards is... is there an easy tell tale way to "determine" if it (slave) just needs bleeding or replacement (it's holding the fluid i added after the fact and i don't see and/or smell leaks nor fluid loss)? also, the slave cylinder in this jeep is in the trany housing, how praytell do i "bleed" the system and/or can i without dropping the trany?

as you have probably concluded... i'm NO "mecanic" and know just enough to MOST times keep myself out of trouble, this is NOT one of those times !!! any/all help will be greatly appreciated and i'm looking forward to your replies. thanks!
Old 06-08-2013, 11:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L with throttle body spacer and cold air intake, bored throttle body, #784 injector upgrade

um... is it still not working right? Did you refill the reservoir?
There is a way to bleed it but it will take you and another person to actuate the clutch.
If you look at the back of the slave it will have a small pin that holds the line into it. Some have an actual threaded steel line. Disconnecting the line enough to allow the fluid to seep out and closing it while the second person is pumping the pedal will bleed out the air. You need to do this in the same manner that you bleed brakes. Meaning you have them hold the pedal to the floor for pressure and you open the line slightly and close it before they release. I recommend that you have brake fluid on hand as that is what it takes. Some will tell you on the cap what fluid to use.

IF you have to replace the slave then you will end up having to this and more. I am not sure but if the slave is inside the bell housing you have to split the trans and engine to get at it.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:42 PM

hry oojeep, thanks for your reply. my slave is in the housing... is there any way of bleeding without cracking the housing from the engine? if not, while this is all apart, it'd probably be best to REPLACE the slave and clutch as well.

unfortunately this is beyond my (personal) ability and $'s at the moment, so she'll probably be either sitting for a bit and/or up for sale. fortunately, i have a bunch of other vehicles so at least i won't be stuck that way.

Last edited by bruno_rs; 06-09-2013 at 12:45 PM.