Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

92 Laredo rear power window motor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 92 Laredo rear power window motor replacement

Hi guys, I replaced the power window motor in the rear drivers side door this weekend and thought I'd share some thoughts.
the replacement motor is Cardone 42-607. I think that number is different for the passenger side, but the motor is nearly identical to the original.
The most difficult of the process was getting the door panel off. I'd seen some youtube videos where the panel came off pretty easily but that wasnt the case for me. Getting the door panel over the power window switch panel took alot playing around with. my tip is to pull away the panel from the door, then disconnect the power switch, rotate the panel 90 degrees in relation to the power switch panel and then have some patience. the difficult part is, on the Laredo at least, is the power window switch panel is bigger than the hole cut into the door panel itself. disconnecting the door lock and door handle rods might help as well if you can get to them.
after that it was pretty simple. there are rivets that have to be punched and/or drilled out to get the regulator and motor assembly out of the door. I used a 0.27 drill bit. I used some white grease to lube up the coil and motor gear, and some WD-40 inside the rubber housing tube.
Oh, one more thing. the bolt that connects the regulator to the glass was put in with blue Locktite. What a pain in the fanny to get out! the nylon bolt/bushing would rotate with the bolt rather than unscrew. I had to have my wife hold the bolt/bushing with a tiny pair of channel locks while I turned the torx driver with a pair of vise grips clamped down onto them to get some leverage.
another thing, before I did all this I tested the old motor with a car batter dirctly to the electrical connection (pos to one blade, and negative to the other blade). my motor didnt budge...not even a vibration. it did get warm but that was the only indication I had power going to the motor.
sorry I didnt take many pics but I'll post what I have.
Hope this helps somebody.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

New motor on top
Attached Thumbnails 92 Laredo rear power window motor replacement-img_4387.jpg