Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

92 Laredo Dash and PCM scanner connection

Old 07-06-2018, 04:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default 92 Laredo Dash and PCM scanner connection

Hello,

I have a friend that purchased a 92 Laredo for his wife and plans to fix up as it has some body damage and other issues such as with the rear lamps, etc.

The interior is ok except for a section of the dash panel that fits around the instrument cluster is cracked and broken. He currently doesn't have an Internet connection and asked me to look around for a new part to replace the broken dash piece that surrounds the gauges.

Also there doesn't appear to be anything to mount a radio to. There is an opening for a radio but am unable to see any radio mounting bracket.

All I've been able to find is a dash bezel and not the piece that fits inside the dash bezel that surrounds the gauges.

The other thing is I told him I would connect my Snap-On MT2500 scanner up to it to see what the scanner is able to read from it's PCM, however I'm not certain where the OBD plug is and what type of OBD1 connector it is as I would need to find an Jeep ODB1 adapter to connect it to the MT2500. Snap basically uses a cable with a 15-pin connector at one end that's used to connect different OBD1 and pre-obd1 connectors.

I'm trying to figure the name of the Snap-on OBD1 connector that will work with a 92 Laredo.

E.g. A 89 Renix XJ uses a Jeep-1 OBD adapter and the MT2500 is able to produce live readout.

However later model non Renix OBD1 Jeeps from 91 - 95 I'm not certain if any are capable of Live Readout?
Old 07-07-2018, 07:49 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Note from DJ
Hope this information helps
The first photo is the location of the Data Link Connector that you will be plug in your 2500 I think.

The second photo is what the Data Link Connector looks like.

The last photo is of the CHRY-1 MT2500-30 P#349117 that you will need to have for your 2500.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Can you post a pic of the missing dash parts? I'm not clear on what you need.

BTW, take a look at the part out section. You might find what you need.

Last edited by BlueRidgeMark; 07-07-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Ok thanks. I did find what appeared to be that connector hanging from the harness along the fender. I thought possibly could be a pcm connector but thought it doesn't really look like other pcm connector and could be for something else.

Renix Jeep has a pcm connector inside a box, I've seen this adapter which iirc is Jeep-1.

Renix Jeep is capable of live readout. I'm not certain if obd1 Jeep's have the same sort of capabilities.

I have two scanners, a Snap-on MT2500 and recently purchased a BluePoint Microscan III that's an OBD2 and OBD1 scanner if you have the correct OBD1 connector. I'm uncertain if it can interface with Reinix producing live readout, the same as the Snap-On MT2500.

After finding a Chry-1 adapter I'll see what sort of capabilities the OBD1 Jeep has.

OBD1 was developed by C.A.R.B by the state of California, wasn't a Federal Standards but some auto manufactures started to use before 96 and Federal OBD2.

Another type of OBD that I've seen produce live readout is GM's ALDL Assembly Line Diagnostic Link

Specifications for the communications link varied from one model to the next. I think the scanner needs to be capable of ALDL and have an ALDL interface.

When I get over to where the 92 Laredo is I'll take a closer look at the dash and take a few pics.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Can you post a pic of the missing dash parts? I'm not clear on what you need.

BTW, take a look at the part out section. You might find what you need.

I went over and took a closer look and he needs an another bezel. I don't believe there are any new ones as doubt Mopar manufactures them any longer. I could not find any 3rd party dash bezel, so it seem he will need to find a used OEM pulled from 84 to 96 XJ.

He mentioned his wife would like a wood grain, to replace th broken black one.

There apparently is a metal housing that attaches to the bezel so to install the radio? However I wasn't able to find an oem radio mount, so perhaps he con modify an aftermarket radio mount to fit?