Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

92 Jeep Cherokee Door Jammed

Old 05-16-2010, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8
Default 92 Jeep Cherokee Door Jammed

Hi I am new to this so here it goes. I recently bought a 92 Cherokee Laredo knowing that the front passenger door didn't open and seeing as the guy I bought it from was a total idiot, I figured it would be an easy fix. I managed to get the door open once and thought I had fixed it so I shut it back and now I can't get it open for the life of me. I have power locks but I am manually moving the lock mechanism which seems to be working fine. Also, the first time I opened the door I just pushed on the release mechanism (the one that is moved when you manually press the lock/unlock button) and the door opened fine. Now it won't open ant all and it seems like it is locked but like I said the locking mechanism seems to be working fine. I can't see a whole lot because it's hard for me to fit in the passenger floor space and still see what is going on. I have already taken one of the door panels off of a door that works to see what is going on and I can't really see a difference between the two. Sorry this is so long but I'm becoming really frustrated. Help Please!
Old 05-16-2010, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Wink

I have the same problem on my '88 XJ drivers side rear door, however I didn't do anything with it yet as I still have 3 more doors. LOL If you fix it please post so I will look at mine! I will do the same!
Old 05-16-2010, 11:09 AM

Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6

My dad has the same problem on his jeep and its from the doors not aligned right or something like that. If you know anything about that stuff maybe try that!!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:07 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

I still haven't had any luck I am about ready to cut the stupid thing off and replace it because I still can't see or feel enough to know what is going on in there. Anybody have a diagram or something?