Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

91 xj sputtering on start

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 91 xj sputtering on start

so I've been having some trouble with my jeep. Took it wheeling and it ran fine about half the time. The other half my jeep started stalling out, dropping rpms and sputtering. After my wheeling trip it never stalled or dropped Rpms again, but it sputters as soon as ya start the jeep.

-i decided to clean my throttle body and replace the TPS which ended up being cracked. After I replaced the sensor it ran fine for a day then started back with the same problem.

-I then took a look at the spark plugs and found that that they were in awful shape. The most carbon build up I've ever seen. So I replaced them and it still continued to sputter.

im just looking for a direction on what to do next. I have figured out that my jeep only sputters when it's cold started. After a few minutes of the engine warming up I'll have no problems.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

1. Any check engine light? If so, get the codes using key-on, key-off technique. See below. Post the exact codes here for comment.

2. Finish the tuneup. Quality plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, fuel filter

3. Test fuel pressure. For a 91, you need a solid 31 psi. Check it before starting and watch it as it starts when cold when it's symptomatic. You got 31 psi at that time?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retrieving OBD codes on the Jeep Cherokee (XJ) OBD1 Models: 1991-1995

1) Start engine (if possible). Move transmission shift lever
through all positions, ending in Park. Turn A/C switch on and then off
(if equipped).
2) Turn engine off. Without starting engine again, turn
ignition on, off, on, off and on within 5 seconds. Record 2-digit
fault codes as displayed by flashing MIL.
3) For example, fault code 23 is displayed as flash, flash,
4-second pause, flash, flash, flash. After a slightly longer pause,
other codes stored are displayed in numerical order. When MIL begins
to flash fault codes, it cannot be stopped. Start over if count is
lost.

NOTE: A "5-5" will always occur to signal the end of the sequence. Some will flash the "1-2" code indicating a recent battery disconnect even if you haven't done it. Ignore these two codes, and mark down all others.

Last edited by tjwalker; 02-01-2017 at 07:22 PM.