Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'91 Jeep Cherokee possible overdrive problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 High Output
Default '91 Jeep Cherokee possible overdrive problem?

Hey guys! I'm new here, but i've visited this site numerous times for great answers on repairs and problems and i'm glad to be a member!.

Anyways, lately when i'm on the freeway i notice that no matter how much gas i give my jeep it makes the same sound, then after a certain point the engine revs up and it seems to go into another gear and be fine.. I don't know if something needs to be adjusted or if i need a new transmission or what. It seems like it has been doing it since i replaced the valve cover gasket which required me to take off the cables going to the throttle body.

Setup:
Stock 1991 Jeep cherokee laredo 2wd with magnaflow cat and thrush turbo muffler.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Former Sponsor

I would first check the level of transmission fluid and make sure that it's not running very low. Second, check the color and smell of the transmission fluid (just look at the trans dip stick). If it's brown or black in color, and/or it smells like burnt toast, then the trans fluid is cooked and can cause major issues.

If the trans fluid is ok, I would suspect that the planetary gear inside the transmission has become damaged in some way. I'd take it to a trusted automatic transmission shop or the dealer and have it inspected.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by rtlxzlaredo
Hey guys! I'm new here, but i've visited this site numerous times for great answers on repairs and problems and i'm glad to be a member!.

Anyways, lately when i'm on the freeway i notice that no matter how much gas i give my jeep it makes the same sound, then after a certain point the engine revs up and it seems to go into another gear and be fine.. I don't know if something needs to be adjusted or if i need a new transmission or what. It seems like it has been doing it since i replaced the valve cover gasket which required me to take off the cables going to the throttle body.

Setup:
Stock 1991 Jeep cherokee laredo 2wd with magnaflow cat and thrush turbo muffler.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/free-quick-fix-41821/
Old 12-16-2012, 07:40 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

This^^.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0 I-6

X3. I did this adjustment and my XJ shifted SO MUCH BETTER.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

no matter how much gas i give my jeep it makes the same sound, then after a certain point the engine revs up and it seems to go into another gear and be fine
In addition to the TV cable, check your TPS for proper operation. It could be causing the delayed throttle response.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:43 AM

Year: 1999
Default overdrive problem!

believe it or not your brake light switch does more than make the brake lights work. it also kick out your cruise control and your overdrive! not an intelligent move on the manufactures part. i ruined the original trans replaced it and thinking i got a bad replacement trans put a third one in for no reason. the switch will work fine for the lights when bad but mess up other things too. it might seem like when you hit a bump in the road you kick out of OD but its the brake pedal vibrating just enough to cause trouble. hope this helps out.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:53 AM

So far so good! I went out at around 3:30 in the morning when i saw the replies and tried it out, at first it was kinda stiff from no adjustment in who knows how long, but i got it and went for a test drive, seemed like it shifted alot better! Came back and adjusted it again just to double check and it seemed like it was pushing itself out a little so i just held onto the hard plastic thats wrapped around the cable as i opened the throttle body. I'll let you guys know if it is still even better tomorrow!. Thanks alot for all the replies, I almost thought that no-one was gonna help with this one.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:27 AM

Wow! Thanks for the fix guys, my jeep has been shifting great! I think the shifting problem must've really effected my gas mileage too.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:12 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Easy fix, huh?