Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

91 cherokee wont start HELP !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 91 cherokee wont start HELP !!!!

I went to start my jeep today and nothing wont even crank. I checked the battery and its fine ,i had the same thing happen a couple weeks ago did some searching and found something about the NSS and said to try and put it in N then try to start which i did and it worked then from that point it was fine even in park but today nothing . i had my brother try the bypass method but it didnt work . now he did tell me that he tried to jumpe the starter and all he got was a spark .Does this mean my starter is shot please help im not afraid to get my hands dirty but i just need to know what has to be fixed thanks
Old 08-16-2010, 02:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Check for spark and fuel.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:15 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by lizzy's limited
I went to start my jeep today and nothing wont even crank. I checked the battery and its fine ,i had the same thing happen a couple weeks ago did some searching and found something about the NSS and said to try and put it in N then try to start which i did and it worked then from that point it was fine even in park but today nothing . i had my brother try the bypass method but it didnt work . now he did tell me that he tried to jumpe the starter and all he got was a spark .Does this mean my starter is shot please help im not afraid to get my hands dirty but i just need to know what has to be fixed thanks
Hi, its most likely the NSS, here is a link on how to repair it...Tj
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm
Old 08-16-2010, 02:21 PM

thats the link we used to do the bypass which didnt work shouldnt the bypass have negated the Nss or could it still be the Nss even if the bypass didnt work
Old 08-16-2010, 04:32 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

If you did the NSS bypass as described and it still won't start it probably is not the NSS.

Start basic - Check your engine for oil - check and recheck your battery cable terminals sometimes they look tight but are not. Clean the battery terminals. Check the main cable that runs from the battery to starter. Are the end fittings tight? Is the insulation in good shape? Are the lots of broken strands. It very well could be starter as well. Most autoparts stores will test that for free for you (a little labor involved on your part).

Hopefully that will help or at least bump your post so others might jump in.

Keith
Old 08-16-2010, 06:54 PM

if you tried jumping the starter and no luck. it's probably your starter. but as stated already make sure you know your battery is good and the connections are clean and tight at the bat and starter. there is a chance of a bad cable, i have seen this before. it will carry voltage but no amperage.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:06 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0
Default try the easy stuff first

First, find a friend to try jump-starting with jumper cables.
If it behaves differently, then you may have a loose battery post connection or corroded, yet tight, battery connection.

Next, get a 12 volt lightbulb with socket, and connect one wire to a good clean ground, connect the other wire to the starter terminal, the small terminal.

See if the light comes on when key is turned to START. If the light does not come on, the problem is most likely not the starter.

FYI, if you are really brave, you can pull the starter relay out, insert a jumper into the appropriate slots, and bypass the NSS, ignition switch and computer.

I keep a small jumper in my glovebox for emergencies

p.s. I drive a 1991 Laredo.

Last edited by dennis461; 08-16-2010 at 07:13 PM.