Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

90''Cherokee Laredo Windows

Old 08-27-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Angry 90''Cherokee Laredo Windows

I have a 90 jeep cherokee laredo that i need to be able to drive . I am a med school student and need the transportation. the only problem is that the windows are stuck in an open position. Where i live it is cold all the time..When i was rolling the windows down on the highway it stopped working, But the Unlock and Lock buttons switches both work still work, just not the rolling up and down of the windows, and neigther do any of the doors window buttons. I have tried the manual thinking that i must have surely blown a fuse, but to no avail ... Although, i have replaced The 30amp circuit breaker it is still broken.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Diagram towards the end of the PDF file here:
http://jeepgarage.free.fr/OWN/wiring%20diagrams.pdf

Pull the connector off of the window motor in the driver's door. You should have +12V on one connector tab, ground on the other when activating the window switch.
The +12V and ground should reverse positions when you operate the window switch in the other direction.

If you have no voltage in either direction, check the power input to the switch ***'y.
If power is present coming in but nothing comes out, the switch ***'y is bad.
If no power is coming in to the switch ***'y, trace the wiring back until you find the break. The wiring between the door and doorjamb is a common spot for failure due to the flexing.

I'll guess the switch assembly in the driver's door is dirty, pitted or arced. The "up" function always fails first...it draws more current than rolling them down.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:02 PM

Engine: 4.0

did you get this fixed have the same exact issue with my 89 laredo. except it never has worked since we got it. and we need the windows because my mom is a postal worker and the passenger window is stuck up. have not found a thirty amp circuit breaker. on my Jeep.....
Old 08-28-2012, 02:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Originally Posted by longhorn717
did you get this fixed have the same exact issue with my 89 laredo. except it never has worked since we got it. and we need the windows because my mom is a postal worker and the passenger window is stuck up. have not found a thirty amp circuit breaker. on my Jeep.....
Probably under the hood in the box with the cover on it.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:06 PM

have not fixed the issue yet, but still tinkering with it. if anyone else has any ideas lemme kno
Old 08-29-2012, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Radi
Diagram towards the end of the PDF file here:
http://jeepgarage.free.fr/OWN/wiring%20diagrams.pdf

Pull the connector off of the window motor in the driver's door. You should have +12V on one connector tab, ground on the other when activating the window switch.
The +12V and ground should reverse positions when you operate the window switch in the other direction.

If you have no voltage in either direction, check the power input to the switch ***'y.
If power is present coming in but nothing comes out, the switch ***'y is bad.
If no power is coming in to the switch ***'y, trace the wiring back until you find the break. The wiring between the door and doorjamb is a common spot for failure due to the flexing.

I'll guess the switch assembly in the driver's door is dirty, pitted or arced. The "up" function always fails first...it draws more current than rolling them down.

The link is broken