Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

90 cherokee project

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l inline 6
Lightbulb 90 cherokee project

I just purchased a 1990 cherokee 4.0 as a project and it has a list of problems and i have no prior experience with a jeep to know where to begin to fix it.

the problems i have so far are.
1. Has trouble starting ( tap starter works sometimes so im sure thats it)
2. Overheats and coolant bubbles out of the cap on the fluid pressure reservoir (also came into passenger side floor)
3. When engaging 4WD the front driverside pops and doesnt engage
4. While driving down the road to go get the starter matched up at my loca NAPA the engine just stalls out. i could start it back up but the gas pedal did nothing (rpms never went up) and it would just stall out again. it has full tank of gas cause i just filled it up the night before and no gas leaking

if anybody could help out with any advice it would be very appreciated. I plan on doing all the work myself, i just cant diagnose haha
Old 05-29-2016, 03:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Welcome to the Forum. Hit Auto parts and get a manual ton of info in there. Lots of good info here also...http://cruiser54.com/ .As for issue get new starter on. Then I would refresh all grounds its in Cruiser tip. Then replace Pressure bottle cap with the Volvo one also in Cruisers tips. As for water in side by pass heater core. As for 4wheel drive issue fix that after its running better.

Last edited by freegdr; 05-29-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

Originally Posted by freegdr
Welcome to the Forum. Hit Auto parts and get a manual ton of info in there. Lots of good info here also...http://cruiser54.com/ .As for issue get new starter on. Then I would refresh all grounds its in Cruiser tip. Then replace Pressure bottle cap with the Volvo one also in Cruisers tips. As for water in side by pass heater core. As for 4wheel drive issue fix that after its running better.
Yea have the Haynes manual and have been looking through it. And how does one "refresh grounds" I replaced battery and both +/- cables cleaning up the areas they attached. Just knew it had been sitting and the + cable had exposed wire. And thanks ill check out that site and try to find this Volvo cap