Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

90 Cherokee - No reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO I6
Default 90 Cherokee - No reverse

So I did some searching, found a lot of threads about TPS's and whatnot. In all the threads I could find, reverse, park, and neutral worked fine, but the tranny wouldn't shift to other gears. My problem is different..

I'm shopping for an XJ, and I looked at a 90 model the other day. It's an auto, all gears work fine, but Reverse acts just like neutral, and the motor just revs but won't engage. It only has 121k miles on the vehicle, which for a 90 model is pretty darn good. Everything else was in good shape, and for $600 the price was right, but the no reverse scared me. Also, the thing idles at about 4k rpms once it gets warmed up....has some stalling problems when it's still cold.

so my questions: With no reverse, is there some specific part that fixes that, or would I be looking at a rebuild. Also, the high idle I'm assuming could be fixed with some adjustment....yes? Keep in mind I don't have the vehicle to test on, so just some suggestions...particularly with the reverse. I don't want to drop $1500 into it on day one to rebuild/replace a tranny. Plus this will be my daily driver and I need to pass my current car onto someone else quickly...so this XJ would be it from day one....bad deal? Keep looking? Or is there something easy to fix here.

Thanks in advance for any help you provide!
Old 09-12-2009, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

I had the same problem with my heep, I took the cover off of the shifter and kinda just played around with the shifter its self and made sure every thing was tight on the linkage and now reverse works fine but my back up lights dont come on