Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

89 XJ smoking bad

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 89 XJ smoking bad

Ok guys, have blue smoke & hard starting (plugs fouled I assume) coming from my 89 limited xj. Question is: is there a way to find out if it is the valve seals or the rings that are bad? I assume it is one or the other from what I have been reading online.

For an 89 Thumper has low miles 130k but I do not think I have the ability to do the rings. But I am pretty sure from what I have read that I can do the valve seals. I would just like to determine what is wrong before I sink more money into the lift & stuff I am currently working on .

Any thoughts will help...........thanks in advance!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Does it smoke all the time? What do you mean by hard starting? Like it takes a while to fire or it rolls real slow?
Old 09-18-2012, 05:50 PM

Year: 1995

Few ways to tell, generally speaking if it's always smoking it's rings unless seals are completely wiped if it smokes on decel only that's a good sign it's valve seals. You can also try starting it up, while its burning remove the dip stick and feel the pressure coming out. Its Normal for alittle airflow to be pumping out but if there any real pressure coming out its a good chance it's rings, be sure to rev it up alittle when checking. But with that all sad it's always a good idea to take it to a qualified mechanic with the correct tools, seeing that either of those repair can be very expensive.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by jmac108
Few ways to tell, generally speaking if it's always smoking it's rings unless seals are completely wiped if it smokes on decel only that's a good sign it's valve seals. You can also try starting it up, while its burning remove the dip stick and feel the pressure coming out. Its Normal for alittle airflow to be pumping out but if there any real pressure coming out its a good chance it's rings, be sure to rev it up alittle when checking. But with that all sad it's always a good idea to take it to a qualified mechanic with the correct tools, seeing that either of those repair can be very expensive.
This. That's why I asked what I did.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:44 PM

Year: 1989 Limited
Default Sorry I took so long to respond

Sorry guys been gettin home from work & helping my son put in 6 inch lift on his Comanchee. Anyhow ya it smokes all the time & by hard starting it rolls over but takes a while to fire up. As stated I assume that is due to fouling plugs (Have not pulled them yet to look).

I will check the "Dip Stick" method tommorow & see what I come up with & let you all know what I find. Thanks for the feed back!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

If it's blue/black smoke, that usually means it's running rich and getting too much gas or has a weak spark and not burning all the fuel. Oil or water gives off white smoke.