Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'88 XJ Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 08:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '88 XJ Steering Column

Hi all - my steering wheel/column is loose. My mechanic pulled out the column and cleaned and tightened various parts and it's better now - but still "loose." I've had the truck for 30 years and "know" what it used to be like (BTW-the entire front end stabilizers, cross members, tie rods, etc. were replaced a few years back so it is definitely not front end slop - this looseness is a recent occurrence).

I want to look into rebuilding or having a rebuilt one assembled/installed.

I found this website: http://www.columnsgalore.com/SCG1236.htm For app. $325 with exchange (shipping included), I can get a rebuilt one, but am unsure if there are miscellaneous parts that i need to buy to install it, like parts that hold the steering colum into the vehicle (pins? Clips? Other?). For example, main Steering Column parts include this list from RockAuto (each link has more small parts too but this is beyond my knowledge of what is necessary to reinstall the unit) https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...79839,steering

Steering Damper
Steering Damper Bellows
Steering Gear
Steering Gear Bearing
Steering Gear Input Shaft Seal
Steering Gear Nut
Steering Gear Pitman Shaft Seal
Steering Gear Rebuild Kit
Steering Gear Sector Shaft Seal
Steering Gear Worm Shaft Seal

I'm not a mechanic but want to supply everything necessary for this project to my mechanic so he can do it in one day (he pulled it in one day and reinstalled it with things tightened up).
You can see that if I miss an installation part that needs to go with the steering column, a part that is NOT included in the rebuilt column as listed above at columnsgalore.com , then my mechanic will have to order it (if available) and then my car will be in the shop for more than a week.

Most of the “sub-parts” listed under the categories above are not expensive and I could get them in advance and have all the parts ready to go for my mechanic.
Can anyone out there tell me what parts I need to buy in addition to the steering column that I would buy from columnsgalore so my mechanic can do the job in one sitting? Really would appreciate help on this. Even if you are not sure what parts I need, but make an educated guess at what might be needed, I would appreciate that information too. Thanks everyone and happy New Year everyone.

Note: I know my mechanic could discover these parts needed but he would have to pull the column and again, this would tie up the truck for days or more. All help appreciated !
Old 12-29-2017, 05:03 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I can't think of anything else needed. Where is it loose?

Tilt column?
Old 12-29-2017, 09:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by cruiser54
I can't think of anything else needed. Where is it loose?

Tilt column?
Hey Cruiser54, thanks for posting (I've done many of your Renix "upgrades").

Yes, it's a tilt column. 17 years ago the column actually broke while I was driving! There is a ball in a swivel unit that cracked and came apart and the 2 torx bolts that hold the steering wheel in place (with those backing plates) were still intact and tight. At the time, it only cost $400- for the r&r of the unit at the shop. I'm afraid something similar may be happening. When my mechanic pulled the column about a month ago, those plates were loose but he also noted that there were other parts in the column that were worn and he could rebuild it, but not until he pulled it again to identify the specific parts > and then order those parts. Seems the simpler way now is to just replace it as noted in my first post OR maybe the only worn parts may be something like this https://www.rockauto.com/info/358/36...mary__ra_p.jpg .

I just don't know for sure. The "ball" noted above that cracked is not included in that kit so not sure. Doing this kind of work certainly is limited since I'm not a mechanic and don't have a garage to figure things out.

Any suggestions appreciated. Should I get that gear kit on the presumption that maybe some of those rings are mounting parts and are not included in the rebuild? See any other parts that I might buy as backups? Thanks.