Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

88 xj frozen??? Cold No Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question 88 xj frozen??? Cold No Start

Greetings from Edmonton. Sadly my XJ isnt liking the cold one bit. Saturday the temperature here dove to a chilly negative -30 C. Thats around negatve -25 F or so. As my luck would have it, my XJ was never fitted with a block heater (First on the list for spring) so when it was sluggish and wouldnt start Saturday morning I wasnt all that surprized. I brought in the battery and charged it, tried to start later in the day ( temp had rose to a cool negative -17 C at that point) but still no go. So I brought the battery back in, let it charge overnight and was back out in the morning ( up to - 14 C ) Now we have had these temps ( -15 to -20 ) all last week and the ol girl started up every day, all be it a tad sluggish. Not today though. So I started with the basics, checked the fuel rail to make sure the gas wasnt frozen, which it was not, shot out of the release valve with a good spurt, so im assuming my pressure was ok. next onto spark, removed a spark plug, it was damp ( not soaked) with fuel, put it up against the block and had my wife turn over the engine and voila, there was my spark. I did notice however that the plug had ice on it just after the thread towards the gap end. I checked a couple more plugs and they had spark as well. Now Im at a loss, I removed the breather hose from the throttle body, made sure the valve was opening and still no start!!!! So off and walking to the Partsource I went, picked up a new cap and rotor, plugs and some quick start. Changed the plugs cap and rotor, tried to start but no go. I removed a plug, again i could see and smell the gas on the plug. So i tried the quick start and still nothing. So I have fuel, i have spark, and air seems to be moving through, so what gives? Is it possible that its just too cold for her? I tried to get a CPS at the part source but they need to order it in. But if the CPS was bad wouldnt there be no spark at all? Tomorrow Im going to try to ohm out the coil, just to be sure im getting enough spark. Any other ideas guys?
Old 01-04-2009, 06:38 PM

Year: 1990 laredo

this was the best price I could find on a block heater for the 4.0.

http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/..._Code=CHEROKEE

I'm not sure why your truck wont start but I would be willing to try a small shot of starting fluid to see if that would make it fire. Edit: quick start must be canadian for starting fluid.

Grab your lower radiator hose. Is it frozen solid?
Old 01-04-2009, 06:44 PM

Tried starting fluid in the throttle body, not even a chug, yet i can watch the spark off the plug when grounded out to the block?

Edit: Rad hoses not frozen, I was more worried about the oil freezing up ( sludging thickening etc) I know the cold has slowed the cranking speed, but it should still be cranking fast enough to fire up.

Last edited by 88Jeep88; 01-04-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:19 PM

Year: 1990 laredo

if it still seems frozen tomorrow perhaps you can run an extension cord out to it, and put a halogen spotlight under it pointed at the oil pan. it would warm it a little.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:37 AM

well i rechecked the spark this morning, nice and blue. Plugs, rotor and cap have all been changed. After attempted start up both with and without quick start, no fire. Its warmed up to - 10 C this morning, engine turning much faster, I got one of those magnetic heaters yesterday for the oil pan.

Checked the sparkplugs and they had a gas smell to them, not soaked, so I still have fuel, still have spark, still have no start. I havent touched the distributor at all other than the cap, so timing should be fine. Im running out of ideas here.......

What I dont get is even after I try quick start, it doesnt even try to fire, no chugging just turning over. Normally I would think that I have a spark issue, but I know theres spark.

I dont have access to a compression tester, but Im beginning to think thats all I have left to fall back on...... maybe my jeep has just had enough....
Old 01-05-2009, 04:23 PM

NEW DEVELOPEMENTS!

Well she stll wont start, but i was turning her over and she was turning really slow, I noticed some smoke/steam coming up from the hood. took a look under and found my starter was hot as hell. Ground at the battery very hot as well. So is it possible my starter is going and caused all this trouble or is it possible the engine or a pulley is seized? the belt and pulleys turn when attempting to start however. Someone has to have an idea..... anyone???
Old 01-05-2009, 04:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Engine: 4.0L in all

Sounds like the starter circuit is drawing WAY too much current, which also means that your ign. system is gonna lose power while trying to start.

I'd say yank the starter and bring it to the part store to get tested...
Old 01-05-2009, 04:38 PM

might have to, not looking forward to another long walk in this cold though, part source is about a 30 min walk away, not to mention this has been an ordeal already considering i dont have a garage and have been trying to get her to start for the better part of 3 days now :|
Old 01-05-2009, 04:40 PM

would attempting to crank the engine by hand be able to let me know if its the engine causing the drag? if so, how hard should it be to crank by hand?
Old 01-03-2010, 06:58 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Hey there,

I am having the same problem with my 94 XJ. I turn the key to the on position and all my dash lights up and gauges move. Once I turn the key nothing happens. It has been in the -teens here and went to start it yesterday and nothing. My 01 TJ slowly starts. I was looking at replacing the starter on mine, but since my TJ starts it is not a priority. I feel you without the garage. Both my Jeeps are outside.

Let me know if changing the starter helps.

PHTBOY
Old 01-03-2010, 07:11 PM

Year: 1987

My 88 has a hard time as well, it will do nothing until i hit the starter with a wood mallet, its like the starter gets frozen. Only does it in the cold....
Old 01-03-2010, 07:57 PM

Year: 1994

My buddy just told me his dad used to hit his starter with a hammer while someone turned the key. Do you tap it while you someone is turning the key or do you just tap it and then turn it on yourself?

Does anyone know of a better replacement starter?

THX - hennigm4