Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

88 Cherokee Pioneer Speedometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 88 Cherokee Pioneer Speedometer not working

My 88 has a weird issue. The speedometer hasn't worked since I bought it. First noticed the plastic connecting the speedometer was broke so I ordered a new cable. Replaced the cable, nothing. I did notice that the cable itself was working when the speedometer wasn't hooked up. I went ahead and pulled another speedometer and replaced it. Still nothing. Then when driving I was trying to make sure everything was hooked up and pulled the gauge cluster out a bit and the speedometer started working. Placed it back in place and no go. Pull it out again and speedometer worked. Any ideas? I am thinking some kind of a ground issue even though the speedometer is mechanical? All other gauges function properly (actual guages not dummy lights). I've done all the grounding recommended by cruiser including the dash grounding. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Oh and it does have cruise although it doesn't work and wouldn't work without the speedometer anyways, I think. This is the last obstacle I've got preventing me from passing inspection here in Texas.

Last edited by mradcliffe; 05-06-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Model: Cherokee

If you have cruise, I believe you have a 2-piece cable with a cruise transducer in between, somewhere behind the cluster. Follow the cable from the speedometer and you'll find it.
Seems like it works when you jockey it just right, I'd poke around that transducer and see what's loose or not fitting right. .