Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

87 XJ 4.0L Engine cuts out under various conditions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 87 XJ 4.0L Engine cuts out under various conditions

I'm fairly new to posting in the cherokee forum. I'm posting my experience with the engine drop out hoping it might help others.

I've had my stock '87 cherokee since it was two years old. In recent months I've experienced occasional/intermittent engine drop outs and resumes under a variety driving conditions. It would be running, then cut out as if the ignition was turned off, coast, then usually pickup again after in 2-10 seconds. It didn't correspond to hot or cold, low or high speeds, load or no-load. It was very random and it averaged about once a week or so.

After searching for a solution, I tried cleaning and re-seated all the ground connections, then replacing the coil, then the distributor, then the TPS - all potential sources of engine cut-outs, but with no success.

Finally I changed the Ignition Control Module, ICM. It was relatively inexpensive after shopping it around. It was easy to change and it solved the problem.

All is well now and the Jeep drives like new again. Hopefully my experience with the engine cut-outs and the ICM will help someone else. Thank you jeepsters for great posts which helped with troubleshooting,
Old 04-16-2017, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Good to know!